This Slow Cooker Sweet Onion Chicken is a simple and versatile family supper that only requires a few inexpensive pantry staples. No matter how you serve it, everyone will love this warm, comforting meal!
Don't we all appreciate an easy and tasty slow cooker recipe? As you are well aware by now, my Crock Pot is one of my favorite kitchen appliances because there's nothing better than tossing some ingredients together, setting the timer, and letting the machine do the rest of the work. It's about all of the meal preparation I have time for these days, and with cooler fall temps on the horizon, my mind is turning towards cozy food!
We enjoy the chicken and onion sauce served over pasta, but it's also delicious when it's piled high on top of a crusty sub roll. Bonus points if you melt some cheese on top and pop the sandwich in the oven until it's melty and brown! Of course, if your family prefers rice, that's another great option. As I said, versatile is the name of the game, making left-overs that much more practical.
And thanks to the quick-cooking tapioca in the recipe (which has no taste), the sauce thickens up nicely and acts as a sweet and flavorful gravy for whatever your vehicle of choice! I find my tapioca in the Jell-O section of my grocery store.
Slow Cooker Sweet Onion Chicken
- 2 sweet onions such as Vidalia, sliced
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a combination of the two
- 2 envelopes powdered onion soup mix
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Place sliced onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together soup mix, chicken broth, and tapioca. Pour over chicken.
- Cook covered on low for 3-4 hours.
- Shred or slice chicken, if desired. Serve over pasta, rice, or with crusty bread. You can also use the chicken and sauce to make sandwiches!
Looking for other delicious slow cooker recipes? Try these favorites:
15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes