It’s your favorite deli sandwich — in casserole form! This Dump-and-Bake Reuben Casserole is an easy, one dish meal that only requires 5 ingredients and about 10 minutes of prep.
It’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, and equally delicious for a fun twist on the regular weeknight dinner!
Do you love Reuben sandwiches as much as I do?! Something about the tangy sauerkraut, the salty corned beef, the sweet Thousand Island dressing, and the creamy Swiss cheese just does it for me.
It’s truly the perfect combination of flavors and textures!
If you share my love for the iconic deli lunch, then you’re really going to appreciate this dinner! It’s got everything that you adore — minus the bread!
Here are the 5 ingredients that come together like magic: a block of Swiss cheese, corned beef, Thousand Island dressing, a large tomato, and a bag of prepared sauerkraut. That’s it!
I told you this was easy…
I call this a dump-and-bake Reuben Casserole because there’s virtually no prep work necessary! Unlike other casseroles that involve multiple steps (such as boiling pasta or cooking the meat), this particular dinner takes advantage of some store-bought shortcuts. That’s my favorite kind of cooking!
Here I used lean corned beef from the deli counter, which I just chopped on my own once I got home. You can also use leftover corned beef from another meal, such as my Dump-and-Bake Corned Beef and Cabbage that I shared last week. If you have some extra corned beef from that dish, then this is the perfect way to use it up!
The only other “prep work” involves grating your Swiss cheese and slicing your tomato. So simple (and fast)!
The key to a successful Reuben Casserole (in my opinion), is to drain the sauerkraut really well. You don’t want a soggy dish, so drain the sauerkraut in a colander and then squeeze it dry in a dishtowel, wringing out all of the excess liquid before it goes into your casserole.
That way, after it bakes, the casserole is firm and layered just like an Irish version of lasagna!😀
I hope that you enjoy this easy dump-and-bake dinner just as much as I do!
DUMP-AND-BAKE REUBEN CASSEROLE
5-Ingredient Dump-and-Bake Reuben Casserole
- 2 lb. bag of sauerkraut about 3.75 cups, drained and squeezed very dry in a dishtowel
- 1 large tomato horizontally sliced into 4 rounds
- ½ cup Russian or Thousand Island dressing
- 12 ounces deli sliced corned beef diced (or use leftover cooked corned beef from another meal)
- 8 ounces grated Swiss cheese
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place sauerkraut in the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with tomato slices and drizzle with salad dressing. Add diced corned beef over top, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Cooking Just for Two? Cut the ingredients in half and prepare casserole in a 1-quart baking dish. Cooking instructions remain the same.
Want to Prep Ahead? Layer all of the ingredients in the dish and keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours (until ready to bake). You may need to add 5-10 minutes to the baking time in order to get the dish heated through if you're cooking it cold.