This Healthy Chicken Chow Mein is a classic Asian-inspired dish that you can feel good about feeding your family! Packed with veggies, protein, and pasta, this complete meal comes together easily thanks to a simple sauce and a quick stir-fry method.
If your family loves Asian food, but you don’t love the fat and calories that are often associated with those tubs of take-out, then you should definitely give this recipe a try! The flavors are mild enough to appeal to even your youngest audience (babies love it!), and it’s packed with nutrients thanks to loads of veggies that are tossed throughout the pasta.
You know what else is great about this dish? There’s very little prep involved! The only slicing required: cutting your chicken into strips. Otherwise, I take some help from frozen vegetables and a bag of angel hair coleslaw from the produce section. Dump them in your skillet or wok, stir them with the sauce, and a healthy Chicken Chow Mein dinner is served!
Feel free to modify this recipe to suit your family’s tastes as well. You can use just about any of your favorite frozen vegetables, and beef or turkey would also work in lieu of the chicken. Vegetarian? Just skip the meat and toss in a few extra bamboo shoots, tofu, or some more veggies! Have fun with it and enjoy a simple Chicken Chow Mein that’s better than take-out!
[Tweet “Try this #Healthy recipe for Chicken Chow Mein! Easy, kid-friendly weeknight stir fry! #recipe “]
Healthy Chicken Chow Mein
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta I used wholegrain pasta
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage I used a bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 14 ounce package (about 4 cups) frozen stir-fry vegetables, slightly thawed
- 1 8 ounce can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and place in a large bowl. Toss pasta with sesame oil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, stir together broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or a wok over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic and chicken and stir for about 3 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add cabbage, stir-fry vegetable blend, and bamboo shoots to the skillet and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth mixture, cooked pasta, and cooked chicken back to the skillet with the vegetables. Stir-fry for 2 more minutes, or until sauce thickens. Serve.