Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Now that the temperatures are warm and we’re in the midst of outdoor grilling season, I thought that I would share a great (but simple) summer meal. With fresh basil, sliced mozzarella, and juicy ripe tomatoes, these Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwiches are the perfect easy dinner in the warm weather months!
These sandwiches pack a lot of flavor with just a few ingredients. If you’re like me and your basil grows out of control in the hot months, this is a great way to use up some extra leaves.
Paired with bright red, juicy tomatoes, it might become one of your favorite summer meals as well!
I’ve taken the basic flavors from the classic Italian Caprese salad and turned them into a hearty entree with these easy grilled chicken sandwiches. Since the salad is normally made with sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil, and seasoned with salt and olive oil, you’ll find all of those delicious components slapped on a bun!
It’s a combination that just goes beautifully together — especially when you add a simple 2-ingredient pesto mayonnaise as well!
The pesto mayonnaise takes the Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwich to a whole new level in the flavor department! Add enough to have it oozing out of your bun, or just spread a thin layer on top — you can totally tailor these sandwiches to suit your tastebuds!
If you want to prep ahead and make your summer weeknights easier, try grilling the chicken in advance on the weekend. Then you just have to assemble these sandwiches just before serving and pop them under the broiler to melt the cheese.
More easy grilled chicken recipes that you might enjoy:
- Tomato Pesto Pasta with Grilled Chicken
- Garlic and Herb Grilled Chicken Breast
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Marinade
- Grilled Chicken and Nectarine Salad
Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwiches
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 sandwich rolls, sliced in half horizontally
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 8 large basil leaves
- 2 plum tomatoes or 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella (from an 8 oz ball of mozzarella)
- Preheat a grill pan or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Grill until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes on each side. When the chicken has cooled slightly, slice into strips.
- In a small bowl, stir together pesto and mayonnaise.
- Toast the sandwich rolls. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto mayonnaise on the inside of the top and bottom of each roll.
- On the bottom half of the roll, place a layer of chicken and a slice of mozzarella. Place the bottom rolls with the chicken and cheese under the broiler for a few minutes, just until the cheese melts.
- Add a slice of tomato and a couple of basil leaves on top of the melted cheese. Top with the remaining half of the roll, pesto mayonnaise-side down.
This recipe was originally published in June, 2013. The photos were updated in July, 2018.