Looking for an effective way to get your heart pumping with an energizing workout? This Indoor Cardio routine is simple, fast, and will get you in shape -- just in time for the New Year!
I've said on here before that I love to squeeze in an early morning workout on most days...before the rest of the house is up and moving. It's really the only time that I can be sure to have some time for myself, and if I wait until later in the day, I know that something else will come up and the exercise will probably not happen. Since my mornings are rushed anyway, I typically rely on short workouts (10-15 minutes in length) that I can do in my living room. Since my time is limited, I like to maximize the benefits by doing exercises that get my heart pumping and my muscles working!
Here is one of my latest favorites, just in time to help you stick to your New Year's Resolutions! Be sure to scroll down for more detailed explanations of each exercise.
This workout is customizable because you can tailor it to the amount of time that you have on any given day. If you're like me and 10 minutes is your sweet spot, then just do the entire routine one time through, performing each exercise for 1 minute before moving on to the next. If you want a longer workout, repeat the circuit until you're tired (or until your kids wake up!).
Perform each activity for 1 minute. Repeat circuit 2 or 3 more times, if desired and if time allows.
1. March in Place. Get a brisk pace going to warm up your body and get your heart rate up. Continue for 1 minute.
2. Walk Up and Back. Take 3 steps forward, then 3 steps back. Repeat back and forth for 1 minute.
3. Large Arm Circles while Marching in Place. While marching or power walking, make large circular motions with your arms in one direction for 30 seconds. Reverse direction of arm circles and repeat for additional 30 seconds.
4. Side-to-Side Steps while Clapping Hands. Take large steps from side to side (squat lower to work your legs harder), while clapping your arms in front of you with each step. Continue for 1 minute.
5. Double Knee Lift on Alternating Sides. Raise knee twice on one side, then switch and perform two knee repeaters on the other side. Continue alternating sides for 1 minute.
6. Front Kicks. Kick out in front of you as high as comfortably possible, alternating legs with each kick. Continue kicks for 1 minute.
7. Arms Up and Down While Marching. March in place while raising arms up and down above your head. Continue for 1 minute.
8. Double Side-to-Side Steps. Take two large side steps in one direction, and then return by taking two more large side steps in the opposite direction. Continue back and forth for 1 minute. Squat low to really work your legs, and move quickly to keep your heart rate up!
9. Heel Taps. Alternate tapping heels in front of you for 1 minute.
10. Jog (or Walk) in Place. 1 minute.
Enjoy, have fun, and feel great!
Looking for more simple workouts that you can do at home? Try these: