One more quick and easy chicken breast recipe to add to your collection! This Dump-and-Bake Cheddar Bacon & Chive Chicken is cooked in a honey mustard sauce and topped with plenty of bacon, cheese, and fresh herbs for a hands-off dinner with only 10 minutes of prep!
If you’re like me, then you probably have at least one package of chicken sitting in your freezer right now. Do you want to run check?! I’ll wait here…
Even if I know that the meat is in my freezer, I’m often stumped as to what I should do with it! I keep some basics like chicken, ground beef, and frozen shrimp on hand for last minute meals, but I’m not always inspired when I’m pinched for time and I need dinner fast.
This is a great new chicken breast recipe to file away for those days when you just don’t know what the heck to make for dinner…but you need it on the table in about 30 minutes!
My Cheddar, Bacon & Chive chicken breast recipe is an easy solution that takes advantage of pantry staples for a rich, flavorful dish — without an extra trip to the grocery store! It’s a simple dinner that will bring your family together at the end of the day, will make your picky little eaters smile, and will help you breathe a sigh of relief. One more dinner taken care of!
Dump-and-Bake Cheddar Bacon & Chive Chicken Breast Recipe
This Dump-and-Bake Cheddar Bacon & Chive Chicken is cooked in a honey mustard sauce and topped with plenty of bacon, cheese, and fresh herbs for a hands-off dinner with only 10 minutes of prep!
- 4 thin-sliced chicken breasts (or 2 large chicken breasts cut in half horizontally) (about 1 lb. total)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or other vinegar of choice)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped, cooked bacon (divided) (about 1 ounce or 7 slices)*
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a large baking dish (about 9-inch by 13-inch) that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with a little bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour honey mustard sauce over chicken and toss to make sure that each piece of chicken is well coated. Top with chives, half of the bacon, and cheddar cheese (in that order).
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F and chicken is cooked through. The total cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts. During the final 5 minutes, add remaining bacon to the top of the chicken. It will get nice and crispy as the chicken finishes cooking
- Garnish with additional fresh chives just before serving, if desired.
*I like to use the pre-cooked bacon that you can buy at the grocery store to save time. I use kitchen shears to chop the bacon right over the dish -- no knife necessary! And p.s. -- you can also use the kitchen shears to snip your chives right over the dish! Just skip a cutting board altogether!
Cooking Just for Two? This recipe can easily be prepared in smaller proportions by cutting all of the ingredients in half. If using only 2 thin-sliced chicken breasts, bake in an 8-inch square dish.
Want to Prep Ahead? You can whisk together the honey mustard sauce ingredients in advance and keep the sauce stored in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for at least 1 week. Cook bacon in advance if you're not using pre-cooked bacon from the store.
Serving Size 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 33 g
Saturated Fat 12.5 g
Cholesterol 119.6 mg
Sodium 813.1 mg
Total Carbohydrates 3.6 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 39.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.