Full of simple and fresh ingredients, Aunt Bee’s Shrimp and Pasta Salad has been a family-favorite for decades! It’s the perfect side dish for your next cookout, an easy option for a weeknight dinner, or a refreshing make-ahead lunch option. This multi-tasking recipe will soon become a regular in your kitchen as well!
This passed down shrimp and pasta salad is one of my go to summer recipes when I want something comforting, delicious and easy to throw together. It's incredibly simple yet always hits the spot plus there's no cooking involved so it's perfect for those sweltering hot days.
With the right amount of crunch and creamy textures it's so easy to adapt with your favorite herbs and veggies!
Where This Shrimp And Pasta Salad Came From
My mom’s godmother, Aunt Bee, is a fine Southern hostess in the best sense of the term! She has served holiday meals, cocktails, and lunches to our friends and family for as long as I can remember, and her dishes always garner rave reviews.
She has a knack for preparing simple, classic dishes in a delicious way. She knows which ingredients work best together, and she also knows some genius shortcuts to keep prep time in the kitchen minimal. Isn’t that what we’re all looking for?
Over the past year, Aunt Bee has been sharing treasures from her past (and present!) with me — including fond memories of my grandmother (her best friend), her family’s holiday traditions and keepsakes, and some of her most treasured recipes.
I love the process of recreating Aunt Bee’s classics in my own kitchen so that I can share the tastes and stories with my children. These meals are a connection to the past that will be carried on for generations.
And let me tell you: these recipes have become family favorites for a reason…they are all absolutely wonderful!
This Shrimp and Pasta Salad is not fancy, but it’s an option that everyone loves and that disappears fast when you put it on the table. I especially love the variety of textures, from the creamy dressing to the crunchy vegetables and the tender pasta. Add in the fresh lemon juice and fresh herbs for the perfect refreshing zest!
Tips And Substitutions For Making Shrimp And Pasta Salad:
- If you don't have macaroni, any small pasta shape will do
- Avocado would add a nice creamy texture
- The dressing can be lightened with low fat mayo or a mix of mayo and plain Greek yogurt
- Sub the vinegar for freshly squeezed lemon juice
- You can add basil or parsley instead of dill
More easy pasta salad recipes that you might enjoy:
- Classic Pasta Salad
- Avocado Shrimp Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Creamy Italian Pasta Salad
- Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad
Aunt Bee's Shrimp and Pasta Salad
- 1 lb. small shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cooked (I buy the frozen, pre-cooked version for quick preparation)
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni pasta, cooked and rinsed in cold water
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, pasta, green onion, bell pepper, celery, and peas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over pasta mixture and toss until completely coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe was originally published in June, 2015. The photos were updated in May, 2017.