For those days when you can't get to the gym, you can't get outside, or you just don't have the time to do anything more, this 20 Minute Living Room Workout will get your heart rate up and will help you burn calories and tone your muscles efficiently! A mix of cardio and strength, this exercise routine hits all of the major body parts for an effective all-over workout!
I've decided that my "sweet spot" as far as exercise goes is about 20 minutes. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I have learned that anything more and I'll either (1) get bored; (2) get interrupted by my kids; or (3) get overwhelmed by my To-Do List and just not do it at all. Sound familiar?
Since something is better than nothing when it comes to working out, I will embrace my 20 minutes and make the most of them. That means using high intensity cardio mixed with tough strength-training movements to maximize calorie burn and muscle conditioning.
These quick workouts often get done early in the morning before my boys wake up, so I like to use exercises that are quiet and that don't require a lot of equipment. If you're an early-morning, nap time, or late-night exerciser too, then this is the routine for you!
You can even download a printable PDF copy of this workout HERE so that you don't have to bring your computer with you into your living room! 🙂
Ready to get started? I have included instructions for both beginners and more advanced exercisers. If you're looking for more of a challenge, you will need some hand weights (5-15 lbs., depending on your current strength). As always, before beginning any exercise routine, be sure to check with your doctor!
For a quick video demonstration, just click on the name of each exercise.
20-Minute Living Room Workout
Perform each superset twice before moving on to the next superset.
SUPERSET 1: LOWER BODY (repeat entire superset twice through before moving on to next superset)
- Squats: 12-15 reps; more advanced exercisers should hold dumbbells for added resistance (I like my 5-lb. hand weights to start)
- Side Lunges: 12-15 reps per side; advanced exercisers can hold dumbbells for added resistance (I like to do these without weight)
- Skaters: 10 per side
SUPERSET 2: UPPER BODY (repeat entire superset twice through before moving on to next superset)
- Push-Ups: 12-15 reps (beginners can modify by going on knees or doing push-ups against a wall)
- Bent-Over Row: 12-15 reps per side (use a relatively heavy dumbbell – I like 8-10 lbs.)
- Jumping Jacks: 25 jumping jacks per set
SUPERSET 3: CORE (repeat entire superset twice through before cooling down)
- Forearm Plank: hold for as long as you can (about 30-60 seconds)
- Superman: hold for as long as you can (about 30-60 seconds)
- Mountain Climbers: 12-15 reps per leg
Stretch and cool down for 5 minutes.
[Tweet "Try this quick & effective 20-Minute Living Room #Workout! #fitfluential #exercise"]
Looking for even more healthy living motivation? Check out these posts too: