A lot of you have asked for budget-friendly meal ideas, and today’s recipe will not disappoint! When I recently noticed that thick-cut bone-in pork chops were on sale at the grocery store, I instantly added them to my list and figured that I could come up with a tasty way to prepare them once I got home. The end result was this simple recipe for tender and juicy Pineapple Brown Sugar Glazed Baked Pork Chops, which only require 5 minutes of prep and are done in less than 30 minutes. Can’t beat that for an easy weeknight dinner!
I didn’t grow up on pork chops (Mom just never really prepared them), so it’s taken me awhile to get the hang of cooking this particular meat. It’s so easy to dry out a pork tenderloin by overcooking it; but I love how you can sear and then bake these thick chops for a hands-off meal that’s the best of all worlds: you get the browned, crispy exterior with a juicy interior. There’s no tough, flavorless meat allowed here!
The sweet and savory flavor combination of fruit and pork is so good (like my Cider Dijon Pork Chops or my Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apples), but I wanted to mix it up a little bit. The pineapple juice gives the glaze a nice, fresh taste, while the garlic and vinegar add a savory component to balance out the sweetness.
These baked pork chops would be delicious paired with mashed potatoes (total comfort food dinner!), with rice, with a crusty baguette for soaking up the glaze, or just on their own with some veggies on the side. Do what works for your family and make the meal your own!
Best of all, you can pick up the ingredients the next time that your store has pork chops on sale. Stash the meat in the freezer until you’re ready to use it. The rest of the ingredients will keep in your pantry or fridge and you’ll have a meal ready to go when you’re looking for an easy weeknight solution — no last-minute shopping trips necessary. Enjoy, friends!
Pineapple Brown Sugar Glazed Baked Pork Chops
- 4 center-cut bone-in pork chops (3/4-inch to 1-inch thick, about 1 pound each)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, honey, brown sugar, vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat about 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Swirl to coat the pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 more minute.
- Add chops to the skillet and sear on both sides until brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). Remove chops to a plate and set aside.
- Pour off fat from the pan. Add pineapple juice mixture to the pan and simmer over high heat for about 6-10 minutes, or until the glaze is reduced to about 1 cup. I like to use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan as I occasionally stir, which gives the glaze so much great flavor!
- Add pork chops back to the skillet with the glaze, toss to coat, and place entire skillet in the oven. Bake chops for approximately 6-10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chops) or until meat is cooked through (reaching an internal temperature of 145 degrees).
- Allow the meat to rest for about 3-5 minutes and then garnish with fresh parsley just before serving.
Just Cooking for Two? Simply prepare two baked pork chops in your skillet instead of four. I would still make the same amount of glaze, and use any extra over mashed potatoes, rice, or veggies on the side!