One of our favorite summer meals, these Margarita Chicken Kabobs are an easy and healthy dinner to throw on the grill!
Margaritas are the drink of choice for our family during the warm weather months — especially when we’re at the beach! In fact, Keith recently bought a juicer for the sole purpose of having large quantities of freshly-squeezed lime juice readily available for cocktails all summer long! So trust me when I say that we definitely have boozy margaritas on the brain…
I love that these chicken kabobs are marinated in a lime-based dressing that’s flavored with a hint of tequila and Triple Sec. It’s enough to feel festive, but not so much alcohol that it turns off the children! These are truly one of our favorite meals to enjoy at this time of year, and they take advantage of so many fresh seasonal ingredients. You can’t beat the combination of simple, healthy, and delicious for a high-protein, low-calorie dinner that tastes like a party!
- For the Marinade (serving size is approximately 2 tablespoons):
- ½ c. olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon Triple Sec
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- For the Kabobs:
- Approximately 1.5 - 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Pre-soak wooden kabob skewers in water for a few hours before grilling.
- Place chicken chunks in a large Ziploc bag. Place chopped vegetables in a separate large Ziploc bag. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients. Pour half of the marinade into the bag with the chicken and the other half of the marinade into the bag with the vegetables. Toss to coat everything in the marinade and then place bags in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Alternate threading chicken and vegetables on skewers. Discard any extra marinade. Grill kabobs over medium-high heat (on an outdoor grill or on an indoor grill pan) until chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes), turning kabobs as they cook.
For the chicken kabobs without marinade:
For 2 tablespoons of marinade:
Looking for other fresh dinner ideas? Try these favorites: