You can quickly pull together a batch of Steamed Mussels in Garlic and Herb Wine Sauce for a simple and fresh seafood dinner that's on the table in just 12 minutes! With a crusty loaf of bread to soak up the rich and flavorful broth, it's an easy and nutritious weeknight meal that your family will devour!
You guys know that we love seafood around here, but for the longest time I thought that steamed mussels should be reserved for seaside restaurant dining -- not for my own home kitchen.
Keith and I almost always order the mussels appetizer when we see one on a menu, but for years I was too intimidated to prepare them myself. They must be expensive, difficult, or tedious, right?! WRONG!
I'm so excited to share a steamed mussels recipe with you today that is literally as easy as boiling water! With just 5 minutes of prep and a handful of very basic ingredients, you can have a healthy, gourmet seafood dish on the table with almost ZERO effort!
Just like our favorite surfside restaurant at the beach, we love to serve our steamed mussels with a crusty baguette for soaking up all of the delicious broth that's full of garlic, fresh herbs, and dry white wine. Not a drop will be wasted!
Steamed Mussels Are Kid Friendly!
The kids love the mussels (out of the shell) when served over a bowl of pasta. I pour a bit of the broth over top, garnish with plenty of Parmesan cheese, and add some bread on the side. The little ones are in heaven!
Plus, the shellfish steam so quickly that they'll probably be done before you even have a chance to cook the noodles. I'm not kidding when I say that this is the ultimate busy weeknight supper (especially when you add a nice glass of wine on the side for Mom)!
Steamed Mussels - Affordable, Quick And Easy!
Not only is the meal quick and easy, but you might also be pleasantly surprised by how affordable the mussels are. They're a healthy source of protein, Vitamin C, iron, and other important nutrients, but they are also a super sustainable seafood that's good for the environment. Everyone wins!
I like to buy mussels from the seafood counter at my local grocery store, where they come in a bag and are already cleaned and de-bearded. By the time they get to my kitchen, the hard work is already done! I basically just steam them in a pot for a few minutes and our meal is served…
I hope that you enjoy this recipe with a crisp glass of wine while dreaming of your favorite beach this summer! That's certainly what we will be doing.
Cook's Tips - Steamed Mussels
- Cooking for Two? You can easily cut the recipe ingredients in half! The rest of the cooking instructions will stay the same.
- Try adding a dash of cream for a creamy wine sauce
- Add fresh chopped chili for a spicy kick
- You can also add different herbs and spices to your liking
- Make sure to serve with crusty bread to mop up all the juices
More Fish Recipes To Try:
- Slow Cooker Seafood Cioppino
- Crispy Southern Fried Catfish
- 4-Ingredient Baked Fish with Tomato Basil Sauce
- Garlic and Herb Poached Salmon
Steamed Mussels in Garlic and Herb Wine Sauce
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- 2 lbs. mussels
- 1 cup dry white wine
- For serving: pasta or crusty bread
- Melt the butter in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring until soft (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add parsley, thyme, and mussels to the pot. Pour wine over top, cover, and cook over high heat until the mussels open (about 4-5 minutes). Shake the pot frequently as the mussels cook to make sure that they steam evenly.
- Remove mussels to individual serving bowls. Ladle wine sauce over top. Serve with pasta or crusty bread and garnish with additional fresh herbs, if desired.