You only need 4 ingredients, one dish, and about 10 minutes to prepare a delicious seafood supper! This Baked Fish with Tomato Basil Sauce is a healthy dinner that's full of nutritious, clean eating ingredients for an easy and low calorie weeknight meal!
Hey, guys! I've got a great family-friendly dinner for you today...and it's about as easy as it gets!
We love seafood, but sometimes my go-to salmon or shrimp just seems boring. In order to mix it up a bit I like to occasionally add some white fish into our meal plan.
I've found some great frozen cod fillets at Costco recently, which makes it much easier to keep the lean protein on hand. After all, when you live in the middle of rural Virginia, it's not so easy to get fresh, high-quality seafood at the last minute!
Is baked fish good for you?
Yes, yes, yes! Baked fish is a quick-cooking and easy option for busy weeknight dinners. Cod is a good source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and is especially rich in lean protein and vitamin B-12.
How do you bake white fish?
As this recipe shows, you don't need any fancy ingredients or special equipment for a delicious baked fish dish! I season the cod (or halibut) with just salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice, and fresh herbs. These flavors highlight the natural, delicate flavor of the fish rather than overpowering it completely.
The cod is baked in a casserole dish, along with the tomatoes, in a 400-degree F oven for about 15-20 minutes (or until the fish flakes easily with a fork). That's it!
I'm telling you...simple is BEST!
A good piece of cod or halibut is so mild and tender that even non-seafood lovers will typically enjoy it (I'm talking to YOU, kiddos!). If I pair the fish with a tomato basil sauce and serve it over pasta, my little guys are sure to devour this healthy dinner.
Plus, it's fresh, it's easy, and it's FAST -- making this dish a winner all-around! And if regular pasta isn't your "thing," this meal is also great served with some crusty bread to soak up the sauce, or paired with zucchini noodles ("zoodles") for a light, low-carb option. Make it your own, and enjoy!
If you’ve tried this Baked Fish or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
4-Ingredient Baked Fish with Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ lbs. cod or halibut fillets
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup packed, chopped fresh basil leaves divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pat fillets dry and place fish in dish (skin-side down, if there is skin on them). Pour tomatoes into dish and spread around the fish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Season entire dish with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bake, uncovered, until fish is opaque and cooked through (about 15 minutes).
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve immediately.