If my kids could only eat one soup for the rest of their lives, this would be it! Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Soup is an easy, healthy, and delicious weeknight dinner that everyone loves. Busy moms rejoice!
Last weekend I was lucky enough to be invited to a local cooking club as a guest speaker for the month. These lovely ladies were welcoming, gracious, and enthusiastic hostesses…plus, they really know their way around a kitchen!
That’s Jenny, the hostess, standing in the back row in the pink sweater. She happens to be neighbors with my friend Margeaux (who is the first gal standing in the back on the lefthand side!). The themes for this month’s meeting were chocolate (Valentine’s Day!), casseroles, and slow cooker recipes. Everyone brought their own dish to share, so there was a huge feast of delicious foods! Unfortunately, I was a space cadet and didn’t think to snap photos until the very end, so what you see here is the remains of the food that didn’t get devoured over the course of our two hour chat fest.
It was such a fun excuse to get out and meet some new friends, enjoy some new recipes, and talk about the BLOG!
Loved Jenny’s “Pink Panties” cocktails! I need that recipe…they tasted more like candy than a beverage, and they are perfectly pink for Valentine’s Day, baby showers, bridal showers, you-name-it!
Oh, and below you see Jenny’s FAMOUS family recipe for Oreo Balls. Oh, my. I know why they are famous!
So, inspired by the slow cooker theme of the party, I realized that it has been a while since I shared a Crock Pot recipe on here. And, it’s been even longer since I shared a soup recipe! While there is still a chill in the air, I just HAD to take the opportunity to make this Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Soup again (although, let’s be honest: we enjoy this dinner year-round…regardless of the weather)!
I originally found a similar recipe on Betty Crocker’s website, which I have since tweaked slightly to suit our tastes. It has quickly become my family’s absolute FAVORITE soup! It’s one of the few meals that my kids actually request as left-overs. I think that the first time I made it, Gibbs asked for it 3 meals in a row!
This recipe will fill a large slow cooker, so it makes a lot! I love that it freezes well, so don’t feel like you have to finish it all at once. Tuck some away for later and you will have a healthy, tasty, comforting meal ready to go with no extra effort on your part.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Soup
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ of a large sweet onion diced
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 sweet red bell pepper diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, beans, and garlic.
- In a large bowl, whisk together chicken stock, barbecue sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Pour chicken stock mixture into slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Serve soup topped with shredded cheese.
Recipe adapted from BettyCrocker.com
Looking for more easy, family-friendly soup recipes? Try these favorites: