This is an old recipe that I’ve been making for years because it’s easy, super-healthy, and it keeps in the refrigerator really well for quick lunches or dinners throughout the week. Prepare a batch of Quinoa, Chicken, and White Bean Salad over the weekend and you will have a good-for-you meal waiting for you whenever you need it – no fast-food drive-thru necessary!
If you’re not familiar with quinoa, don’t be scared! It’s a lot like couscous in its texture, but it’s gluten-free, and it’s a good source of protein, fiber, calcium, and iron. I highly recommend that you try it! However, if you’d prefer, you can feel free to substitute couscous or rice in this recipe instead. Whatever floats your boat.
This salad is also high in protein and fiber because of the beans and chicken that I toss in. If you’re a vegetarian, you can just omit the chicken and add another can of beans instead. The recipe is flexible and can accommodate your taste buds. Use your favorite herbs and your favorite salad dressing to personalize it as well.
Consider this meal one more trick up your healthy sleeve!
Quinoa, Chicken, and White Bean Salad
- 1 c. uncooked quinoa you can substitute an equal amount of uncooked couscous or rice if you prefer
- ½ c. olive oil and vinegar salad dressing
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 15.5 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 1 small cucumber peeled and diced
- Approximately ½ lb. grilled or roasted chicken breast chopped
- 1 3.5 ounce container crumbled feta cheese
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once quinoa has cooled, place it in a large bowl and add parsley, beans, tomatoes, cucumber, chicken, and feta cheese. Stir to combine.
- Toss with salad dressing.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.