My kids love a classic grilled cheese, and sometimes it’s really nice to be able to serve quick and easy sandwiches for supper. These Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are the perfect answer to my busiest (or laziest) evenings. The kids love the fact that I have essentially combined two of their favorite foods, while Keith loves the fact that these sandwiches are hearty, flavorful, and stuffed with meats and cheeses!
Inside these beauties is a melty Italian cheese spread made up of Parmesan, mozzarella, butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. How could you go wrong with any of that?! I’ve added some pepperoni, turkey, and bacon to really finish it off! Because everything’s better with bacon.
Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup softened butter or I like to use the spreadable butter in a tub, plus additional butter for spreading on bread
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 slices white crusty bread such as sourdough or Italian bread
- ½ lb. sliced deli turkey I like to use an herb-flavored turkey, but any type is fine
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
Combine mozzarella, Parmesan, ¼ cup softened butter, mayonnaise, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl. Spread on one side of each slice of bread. Layer with turkey, bacon, pepperoni, and marinara. Close sandwiches and spread butter on the outside of each slice.
Toast in a skillet or on a griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, approximately 3-5 minutes per side. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home