Get the party started with a Margarita Poke Cake! This easy summer dessert is moist, fluffy, boozy, and bursting with plenty of fresh lime flavor. It's the perfect addition to any celebration this season!
I think I've taken my love for multi-tasking to a whole new level: with this quick dessert recipe you can have your cocktail AND your dessert...in one bite!
What is a Poke Cake?
This is nothing fancy -- and it's just what it sounds like -- a cake that you poke holes in when you're done baking it!
You can use the end of a wooden spoon, smaller wooden kabob skewers, or anything else in your kitchen that will poke little holes all over the top of the cake.
You can then fill the holes with just about any flavor that you like. Some options include liquid jell-o, pureed fruit, chocolate cream, or (in this case) -- pudding!
Just look at how moist the pudding keeps the inside of this cake!
Here are a few other ways to adapt this Poke Cake Recipe:
- Use lemon, lime, or even strawberry Jell-o in lieu of the pudding! To do so, whisk together 1 (6-ounce) package of dry Jell-O mix with 2 cups of boiling water until combined. Pour Jell-O mixture slowly over the top of the cake, allowing the liquid to soak into the holes.
- Use vanilla instant pudding instead of lemon instant pudding.
- Adjust the amount of liquor that you use! You can omit the alcohol altogether, if you like. I kept the liquor on the light side, so this cake appeals to just about anyone (even kids!), but you can obviously amp up the booze if you're looking for a rowdier party!
Seriously, what's not to love about a lemon-lime cake that's infused with just a touch of tequila and Triple Sec?!
This is such a simple way to add a touch of fun to a beach party, to a summer picnic, or to any other summer gathering. Thanks to the fluffy and creamy topping, this is a light and perfect way to end a meal on a warm evening!
More easy cake recipes that you might enjoy:
Margarita Poke Cake
- 1 (16.5 ounce) box lemon cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box (eggs, oil, water)
- 1 (3.4 oz) box lemon instant pudding mix
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons tequila divided**
- 1 tablespoon Triple Sec
- 12 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- Optional toppings: fresh lime slices; sprinkles; extra lime zest
- Bake cake in a greased 13x9-inch baking pan according to package instructions but ADD zest from 1 lime and 2 tablespoons of tequila to the batter.
- While cake is still warm, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake. Make sure to press the holes all the way to the bottom of the cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk into pudding mix until thick and smooth. Stir in juice from 1 lime, 1 tablespoon of tequila and 1 tablespoon of Triple Sec. Spread pudding onto warm cake, pouring the pudding into the holes. Use a spatula or spoon to gently push the pudding into each of the holes. You want the cake to be saturated!
- Place cake in refrigerator to cool completely before frosting (about 2 hours).
- When cake is cool, prepare the frosting.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tequila to the whipped topping. Gently fold together until combined. Spread whipped topping onto cake and sprinkle with desired toppings (sprinkles, extra lime zest, fresh lime slices). Refrigerate until ready to serve.