With layers of prosciutto ham and provolone cheese tucked inside Parmesan-crusted chicken, these quick and easy Italian Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups are a fun twist on the classic Cordon Bleu! Best of all, it’s a simple weeknight dinner that comes together with just 15 minutes of prep!
This meal was definitely a winner in our house. Since Italian food is one of our favorite cuisines, I thought that it would be fun to create a spin on another popular classic (Chicken Cordon Bleu), using Italian-inspired ingredients. The end result was a family-friendly, low-carb, high-protein stuffed chicken recipe that I know you will love, too!
The stuffed chicken is delicious served alongside pasta with marinara sauce, or just paired with a green salad for a lighter option. And, like most of the recipes that I serve, you can adjust the ingredients to accommodate a smaller household with just 1 or 2 diners, or prep the stuffed chicken in advance and bake the dinner when your crew is hungry.
Since the recipe uses 1.5-2 pounds of meat, our family even had some leftovers to enjoy later. Keith (who doesn’t usually enjoy leftovers) loved this dinner so much that he took the last few bits of stuffed chicken and put them in a sandwich for work the next day! That’s when I know that a meal was a total success — the leftovers disappear instantly!
Need a leftover dinner idea? Prepare two thick slices of garlic bread (the frozen kind works great!), add some sliced Italian Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups inside, and spread with marinara sauce. Top with a little bit of extra provolone or mozzarella cheese, warm the whole sandwich in the oven, and dinner is served!
Italian Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups
Italian Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups
- 1.5 - 2 lbs. thinly-sliced chicken breasts I buy thin-sliced boneless chicken breasts at my grocery store as a shortcut, but you can also use regular chicken breasts that have been pounded to ¼-inch thickness
- 3 ounces thinly-sliced deli ham or prosciutto
- 4 slices or about 3 ounces provolone cheese
- 2/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley or 1-2 tablespoons of dried parsley flakes
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Pour milk into a separate bowl.
- Place a slice of ham and a slice of provolone cheese on each chicken breast. Depending on the size of your ham and cheese slices, you may need to trim them or cut them in half so that they are not hanging too far out of the roll-up.
- Roll up chicken and secure with toothpicks.
- Dip chicken rolls in milk, then coat with a light coating of the crumb mixture.
- Place chicken seam-side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray (this will help it turn golden brown!).
- Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove toothpicks and serve!
Cooking Just for Two? Cut all of your ingredients in half to prepare fewer roll-ups! The preparation instructions remain the same. Cooking instructions are also the same.
Want to Prep Ahead? You can prepare these roll-ups and freeze them for a few weeks before baking; OR you can bake the roll-ups, keep them in the refrigerator, and then just reheat them in a 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week. This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!