Thank you SO MUCH to my friend Anna for guest posting on the blog today! As you may know, I’m taking some time off on vacation with my family this week, so Anna is stopping by today from Sunny Side Ups to share a delicious sweet treat that’s perfect for the summer. Please be sure to stop by Anna’s blog for even more tasty recipes, fitness tips, and beautiful photography!
No marshmallow-toasting needed with these ooey, gooey oatmeal s’mores bars! These bars oozing with melty chocolate and marshmallow creme, can be enjoyed all year round!
I’m Anna, from Sunny Side Ups, here to share a super yummy recipe with you! 🙂
I don’t know about you, but one of my very favorite parts of summer has always been s’mores!! I remember when I was little, any time my dad would grill dinner for the family, it was always so exciting for me, my sisters and my brothers…because we knew what the future held. My dad would keep the coals warm while we ate, and then for dessert, he would let us kids toast our marshmallows over whatever tiny flames were left. We always had this running competition going on who could toast the “most perfect” marshmallow: had to be equally lightly golden brown from all angles, no charcoal smudges or overdone dark or bubbly patches. Of course I always lost because somehow mine always caught fire…and my older brother was too competitive to ever let me win, so if mine was starting to look pretty good, he’d “accidently” bump into my arm, making my sad marshmallow fall off the skewer into the grill. Mmmmhmm. Story of my childhood.
With these gooey oatmeal s’mores bars, you don’t have to worry about a big brother knocking your marshmallows into the flames, plus you can enjoy them all year round! At Sunny Side Ups, I always like to make sure that the recipes I post will be able to turn out exactly the same, whether you’re using traditional ingredients, or using gluten free ingredients; that way, the majority of people out there can enjoy these, and everyone, no matter what eating plan you choose, gets to experience the same flavors, textures, etc. So because of that, I always recommend Better Batter Gluten Free Flour if you’re looking for a straight 1:1 flour substitute to make a traditional cookie recipe gluten free. The recipe will taste and turn out the same, whether you are baking with your everyday, traditional all-purpose flour, or Better Batter GF Flour! It’s awesome! You can choose regular or Gluten Free rolled oats, and you can use any traditional regular graham crackers, or if you want gluten free, I used Schar GF Honeygrahams, and they worked fantastic!
Whichever way you choose to bake these, you’ll be left with the gooeyest marshmallow filling, oozing chocolate, sandwiched between two crunchy layers of cinnamon graham cracker/oatmeal cookie goodness!
Warning: if you like your cookies all clean and tidy, without a crumb left on your fingers, these might not be the best choice for you…eating one of these will get a little messy, especially when you’re eating them extra melty-warm from the pan or the microwave. 🙂 Almost like you’re stuffing your face with a real s’mores!
[Tweet “Ooey, Gooey Oatmeal S’mores Bars are perfect for summer — no campfire necessary! #dessert #smores”]
Gooey Oatmeal S'mores Bars
- ½ cup Butter softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup Old-Fashioned Oats*
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour OR Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
- ½ cup Graham Cracker Crumbs*
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 7-ounce Jar of Marshmallow Crème
- 3 standard-sized Hershey Bars, broken into pieces (use Special Dark Chocolate if you prefer!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with foil, and spray generously with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Combine room temperature Butter, Brown Sugar, Oats, Flour, Graham Cracker Crumbs, Baking Soda, Salt, and Cinnamon in a large bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, mix on LOW speed until all ingredients are combined, and dough is moist and crumbly.
- Press about 2/3 of the dough into a thin layer on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Using a greased knife or spoon and greased fingers, spread Marshmallow Crème evenly over the dough layer. This step may look a little messy, but do your best to get the marshmallow crème into a fairly even layer.
- Place the chocolate pieces on top of the marshmallow layer.
- Take a small piece of the remaining dough into your hands; flatten into a thin layer, and place on top of the chocolate layer. Repeat with remaining dough. The dough will not completely cover the top; the layers underneath will peek through a little bit, and this is ok!
- Bake for 24-26 minutes, until crust is set and top is lightly browned.
- Allow pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars, and lift the foil out of the pan for easy removal of the bars.
- Store bars in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to one week.
- Makes 12-16 bars
*You can easily adapt these bars to be gluten free by using Gluten Free oats, flour, and graham cracker crumbs. If you do have allergies or dietary concerns, always check to make sure all ingredients are safe for you to consume.
If you’re a fan of these yummy cookie bars, also come check out: