This recipe for Quick and Easy Pizza Pot Pie was originally published in January, 2015. The photos were updated in August, 2017.
This comforting, kid-friendly Quick and Easy Pizza Pot Pie is the perfect weeknight dinner to please your entire family. Like an upside-down pizza, it’s full of beef, pepperoni, sauce, cheese, and vegetables – all topped with a biscuit crust. It’s a fast, fun twist on a classic favorite!
Is there anything better than a hot casserole for dinner on a cold winter evening? How about a casserole that can be prepped in advance (even the night before!), and that utilizes a couple of convenience items for faster and easier cooking?
After all, even when we’re busy, it’s nice to be able to sit down to dinner as a family. It doesn’t happen every night, but we do our best to come together multiple times each week for a simple meal — and this Pizza Pot Pie makes everyone smile!
I have a few tricks up my sleeve for getting dinner on the table FAST, and this recipe features three of them (making it three times as quick?!). Thanks to refrigerated biscuit dough, a jar of marinara, and some shredded cheese, your Pizza Pot Pie is halfway done! It’s all about the pantry staples, my friends…
After browning the meat and veggies in a skillet, you just stir in a jar of marinara sauce (or your favorite homemade tomato sauce) and a couple of handfuls of mini pepperoni. Top it all with a generous portion of creamy, rich cheese and drop the crust (or biscuits!) on top. That’s it!
At this point, you can either cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it, or just go ahead and stick it right in the oven. It will be hot, golden, and ready to devour in about 25 minutes!
Easy Pizza Pot Pie
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 finely diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely diced onion I like to use frozen diced onion so that I don't have to chop it!
- 1 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- ½ cup mini pepperoni I just use mini pepperoni so that I don't even have to chop them, but regular diced pepperoni works fine too!
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 6 ounce cans refrigerated miniature biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grands! Juniors) OR 1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits*
- Brown ground beef, pepper, and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add marinara and pepperoni to the skillet; stir to combine. Pour into 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Top with shredded cheese.
- Separate the dough into 10 mini biscuits. Place biscuits evenly on top of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through. Check on the casserole about halfway through the baking time. If the biscuits start to get too brown before they are completely cooked through, just cover the casserole with foil and continue to bake (covered) until done.
*I like to use the mini biscuits because they cook faster, and that way you don't have biscuits that get too dark on top but are still raw in the center when the baking time is done. If you use the larger biscuits, just be sure to cover the casserole with foil about halfway through baking so that the biscuits don't get burned on top. You might also need to add some extra cooking time to make sure that the larger biscuits are cooked through.
Cooking Just for Two? You can cut this recipe in half! Just use 1/2 lb. of beef, 1 can of mini biscuits, and cut all of the other ingredients in half as well. Bake the casserole in an 8-inch square baking pan. The cooking instructions remain the same.
Need some help planning your family’s meals? When you join Simply Mailed, I will send you 3 quick-prep dinner recipes and a grocery shopping list each week. This super-affordable service takes the stress out of dinner, saves you time and money, and brings your family together at the end of the day. There are even options for smaller households of just 1 or 2!