Hi, friends! Happy Monday! Did you catch my Recap yesterday? I hope that you all had a great weekend! Today’s post is such a fun one because my friend Kristin (who you see pictured on the blog regularly) is finally guest posting for The Seasoned Mom!
When she came over with her kids for a play date a couple of months ago, Kristin brought along an Easy Chocolate Italian Love Cake that her kids had made. It was so delicious (and pretty!), that I knew I wanted to share it with all of you. Fortunately, Kristin is here today to give you the full details.
Take it away, Kristin!
When my bestie Blair asked me if I wanted to be a part of her amazing blog, I jumped at the chance! I had passed along a piece of cake the kids and I had made together and the idea for this post was born.
Like Blair, I have 3 children under 6 years old. There is never a dull moment or a clean kitchen in my life! My kiddos love to “help” in the kitchen. As many moms know, it is a constant battle between allowing them to feel useful and protecting my own sanity. I try to remind myself that I will cherish the memories of flour-covered smiles more than I will the stress of the flour-covered floors.
When I found a summer camp that allowed my two older kids to cook in somebody else’s kitchen, we were all thrilled! They had a wonderful time. Not only were they able to taste all of their yummy creations along the way, they also made their own aprons and plates (see the picture below). To cap off the week, they were sent home with their own recipe book!
The kids were not ready to leave camp far behind and insisted that we try the recipes at home. It was a great way to fill up some empty summer days. They were so proud to teach me how to cook! Below is the recipe for the cake I shared with Blair. It was their favorite one from camp!
[Tweet “This impressive #Chocolate Italian Love Cake is so easy that your kids can do it! #cake #dessert”]
Easy Chocolate Italian Love Cake
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package of instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup cold milk
- 16 oz. frozen whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking dish. Spread to fill the pan evenly.
- Once the cake batter is in place, carefully pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter. Spread to cover cake as best you can (the layers will switch during baking).
- Bake the cake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, mix together pudding mix and milk with a whisk until combined. Carefully fold the cool whip into the pudding until combined.
- Spread mixture on top of cooled cake and cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.
Recipe courtesy of “Little Chefs Camp” at the Virginia Discovery Museum.
I hope that you and your family enjoy this cake as much as we have. And I hope you enjoy the joy on your children’s faces as you dig out from under the chaos the baking left behind!
Looking for more easy sweet treats? Try these favorites: