Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Sometimes you just crave down-home comfort food, and this Dump-and-Bake Southern Chicken Casserole does not disappoint! It’s an easy dinner that comes together with about 5 minutes of prep, for a simple and satisfying one pot meal that the whole family can enjoy.
I like to think of this chicken casserole as a simplified version of Chicken Pot Pie — without the crust.
It’s full of your Southern grandmother’s favorite ingredients — including diced pimientos, sliced almonds, peas, and chicken — all swimming in a creamy Swiss-cheesy sauce. Ahhhh…
Best of all, this is a chicken casserole that only requires a few minutes of hands-on time, since you’re just stirring everything together in one dish. It’s a dump-and-bake meal that makes life EASY, and nobody at your table will ever guess how quickly it came together!
While you can certainly just enjoy the Southern Chicken Casserole on its own, I like to serve it piled high on top of warm biscuits (remember…it’s like a chicken pot pie filling?!), with rice, or with dinner rolls.
The biscuits work particularly well because you can just pop open a can of your favorite refrigerated biscuit dough and bake the biscuits in the same 350-degree oven, right alongside your casserole. It’s the perfect (easy) way to round out a simple and cozy Southern supper!
Dump-and-Bake Southern Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup (NOT diluted)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese divided
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas not thawed
- ¼ cup sliced pimientos drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup sliced almonds divided
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Optional for serving: biscuits rice, or dinner rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart (8-inch square) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In the prepared dish, stir together chicken, Worcestershire sauce, cream of chicken soup, milk, ½ cup of the Swiss cheese, frozen peas, pimientos, and ¼ cup almonds. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes, or until warm.
- Remove cover, sprinkle top with remaining ½ cup of cheese and ¼ cup of almonds.
- Return casserole to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 5-10 more minutes (or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted).
- Garnish with fresh parsley just before serving.
- Serve over hot biscuits, with cooked rice, or with dinner rolls.