This creamy and filling Blueberry Muffin Protein Smoothie is bursting with fresh, juicy blueberries! So thick and satisfying, it’s a healthy, clean eating breakfast that’s best eaten with a spoon!
At this time of year, I crave cold food! It’s so hot in Virginia right now, so when I wake up in the morning the first (ok, second) thing that I reach for is a big, tall smoothie. The first is always coffee!
But if I want my smoothie to fill me up and keep me satisfied for more than a few minutes, I’ve learned that I need to load it with nutritious whole grains, fiber, and protein. Some healthy fat is nice too, so a scoop of almond butter or some chopped nuts on top are a nice addition for flavor and texture. Most importantly, though, I want my shake to be SO THICK that I have to eat it with a spoon! That’s the only way to truly feel like I’m having a meal.
For this particular smoothie, I gave it a “muffin” flavor with the help of some butter extract (found on the baking aisle near the vanilla extract or online HERE), as well as a doughy consistency (thanks to the raw oats blended right in). And just like a real blueberry muffin, I left the blueberries whole so that I could stir them in at the end. That gives me a juicy bite of fresh berry on every spoonful! If you prefer to sip with a straw, just go ahead and blend the blueberries into the rest of the mix and use less ice. It will still be good…just minus a bit of texture!
This mouthful of sweet, creamy, satisfying goodness is a healthy and delicious summer breakfast or snack option. Enjoy!
[Tweet “Cool off and fill up with a #healthy #Blueberry Muffin Protein #Smoothie! #FitFluential”]
Blueberry Muffin Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup uncooked raw oats
- ½ teaspoon imitation butter flavor (found next to the vanilla extract on the baking aisle)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 cups ice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries, plus additional for topping
- Place first 7 ingredients (almondmilk through salt) in blender and puree until smooth. Stir in blueberries, garnish top with additional berries, and serve immediately.
- *This thick and creamy smoothie is best eaten with a spoon so that you can scoop up all of those fresh blueberries!
Looking for other delicious smoothies to cool you off this summer? Try these favorites: