These savory Bacon Cheddar and Chive Muffins are a quick make-ahead breakfast, an easy side dish with a cup of soup, or a nice addition to a holiday brunch buffet! Pair them with scrambled eggs and fruit for an easy, freezer-friendly treat that’s full of fresh flavor!
Is there any better combination than cheddar cheese and bacon?! Toss in some fresh chives for a burst of spring flavor and I promise — just about ANYthing will taste amazing!
A couple of years ago I shared a recipe for Cheddar, Chive, and Bacon Biscuits, which remains one of the most popular recipes on my blog! But you know what? Sometimes (or MOST times), I don’t feel like going to the effort of making biscuits at all. While that recipe is easy, fast, and absolutely worth every minute spent in the kitchen, there’s just something about the process of cutting biscuits and…worse yet…getting my kitchen counters covered in flour…that makes me want to avoid the task altogether! Lame, I know.
If you can relate to my culinary laziness, but you still want to enjoy that delicious bacon-cheese-chive flavor combination, then THIS is the recipe for you. I love, love, love baking muffins because they usually only require one bowl, no electric mixer, and a few minutes of my time. Plus, they freeze really well so I can keep them stashed for those times when I really don’t have a spare second to cook!
While these savory muffins would make a great grab-and-go breakfast on your way out the door (pair them with a hardboiled egg and/or a piece of fruit), they also happen to be delicious with a bowl of soup or chili in the cooler months. We eat them for dinner regularly!
And of course (it probably goes without saying), these muffins are just begging to make an appearance on your Easter or Mother’s Day brunch table! They are a nice companion to a baked omelet and a fluffy, sweet fruit salad. Best of all, they’re easy, fast, and delicious options that you can prep ahead!
[Tweet “#Bacon, Cheddar and Chive #Muffins are an easy make-ahead #breakfast, #brunch, or side! #recipe”]
Bacon, Cheddar and Chive Muffins
Yield 10 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4.5 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add about ¾ of the cheese, the chives, and the bacon. Stir everything together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and melted butter.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not too over-mix (too much mixing will result in a dry, tough muffin). The batter will be lumpy, and that’s fine!
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through and firm.
Looking for other delicious options for brunch? Try these favorites: