When the weather is nice and warm (as it has been recently), Keith often likes to spend some time on Saturday or Sunday smoking barbecued meat for dinner. It’s definitely a hobby of his. A hobby that involves large pork shoulders, huge quantities of chicken, and meaty beef roasts. And believe me – the boys love to participate. After helping their dad start the fire, they usually find some sticks to use as skewers for roasting marshmallows…even if the marshmallow consumption happens at 8:30 a.m.
On the days that Keith has his smoker going, I know that I’m largely off the hook for dinner. Since he’s in charge of the meat, I only need to worry about a few sides. I often serve cornbread or potato salad, but last weekend I decided to try this new dish: B.L.T. Pasta Salad! That’s right. Bacon. Lettuce. And Tomato. In pasta salad. What’s not to like? It was a big hit with all of my boys, so I’m sure that your family will enjoy it too.
Snag this recipe, because I guarantee that you’ll want to bring this with you to gatherings all summer long. It will definitely be a crowd pleaser!
B.L.T. Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces uncooked Farfalle (Bow Tie) pasta
- ½ pint of grape tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and refrigerate until cool.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together cooked pasta, sliced tomatoes, cooked bacon, Parmesan cheese, and Italian dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. It’s best if you can let the pasta salad sit in the refrigerator for a few hours so that all of the flavors blend together.
- Shortly before serving, stir lettuce into pasta salad
Recipe slightly adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff
Looking for other great sides for a picnic? Check out these favorites: