For a light, fresh, and flavorful meal, try these high-protein and low calorie Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps! They can be prepared in advance for a quick and easy lunch or dinner when you don't have time to cook!
I love, love, love the combination of sweet and savory flavors that you often find in Asian cuisine.
The only problem is that those same sweet-and-savory dishes are often deep-fried and laden with sugar, calories, sodium, and saturated fat (hello, General Tso's Chicken)!
These lettuce wraps are the best of both worlds, though -- light, low-calorie, fresh, and bursting with zesty flavors. It's a meal that just makes your tastebuds happy and completely satisfies your body and your mind!
This convenient supper, which can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat, is SO versatile. It's delicious warm, it's great at room temperature, and it's even great straight out of the refrigerator! Leftover Chinese food is always a good idea, right?!
You can wrap the turkey mixture in big, soft, butter lettuce leaves for a light, grain-free option, or you can use traditional flour tortillas instead. It's a one-pan meal that everyone at the table can enjoy! The meat is even great over rice or cauliflower rice if you're ready to mix it up...
Topping Ideas For These Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- And don't forget the toppings! I think of the turkey mixture as the base for the lettuce wraps -- and the rest is a finishing touch.
- chopped peanuts or salted cashews for crunch
- a creamy slice of avocado
- a few sprigs of fresh cilantro
- sliced green onions
- a squeeze of lime juice
You'll feel like you're dining in an exotic Thai restaurant...while noshing on healthy fare from the comfort of your own kitchen!
More healthy dinner recipes that you might enjoy:
- Sheet Pan Dinner: Maple-Glazed Salmon with Sweet Potatoes
- Dump-and-Bake Chicken and Mushrooms
- Skillet Pork Chops with Zucchini and Squash
- Dump-and-Bake Mediterranean Chicken
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast*
- ½ cup Asian toasted sesame salad dressing such as Kraft Lite Asian Toasted Sesame dressing or Newman’s Own Sesame Ginger dressing
- 2 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 4 green onions sliced
- 8 large Boston lettuce leaves
- Optional garnish: fresh cilantro toasted sesame seeds, chopped peanuts
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté turkey breast, salad dressing, soy sauce, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring regularly, until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender.
- Add cabbage and green onions and cook over low heat for about 3 more minutes (or until cabbage is wilted).
- Spoon mixture onto lettuce leaves, roll up, and eat!