Thanks to Greek yogurt, almonds, pineapple, and coconut, this Skinny Polynesian Chicken Salad is a healthy and refreshing dose of the sunny tropics — just when you need it most! Get out of that cold-weather rut and dive into this nutritious and delicious protein-packed meal!
One of my favorite ways to lighten up traditional recipes is to use plain Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise or sour cream. The thick, tangy yogurt is a perfect substitute for these higher-calorie options, and it’s packed with healthy nutrients and tons of protein. Plus, it tastes delicious! It’s definitely a kitchen staple. When I’m not cooking with Greek yogurt, I’m eating it (at least once a day…often more!), and my kids are the same way. Three-year-old Casey’s favorite “treat” is a lemon or key lime flavored Chobani Greek yogurt!
That’s why I was so inspired by Chobani’s #MadeWithChobani project. It was my goal to create a unique, healthy recipe with Chobani yogurt as a key ingredient, and this Skinny Polynesian Chicken Salad was the end result!
At this time of year, after we have all indulged in more than our fair share of holiday cookies, Peppermint Mochas, and eggnog lattes, a light, fresh salad is a welcome change for our taste buds! This particular dish is packed with a variety of flavors and textures, from the creamy sauce with a hint of curry, to the crunchy toasted almonds, sweet pineapple, and juicy oranges. Your body will be nourished, your tastebuds will be satisfied, and your energy will skyrocket!
This recipe makes a pretty large batch of salad, so you can easily feed a family for dinner, treat your girlfriends to a ladies’ lunch, or make a big batch over the weekend and enjoy it for quick lunches throughout the week. Chicken salad is one of my favorite make-ahead meals because it keeps well in the refrigerator and you don’t even need to heat it up when you’re ready to enjoy it!
To keep this dish really light, wrap the salad in large lettuce leaves and forget the bread. For a more filling, yet still healthy option, you can always go with a wholegrain wrap or a thick, fresh whole wheat sandwich roll. No matter which vehicle you choose, the results will be delicious. Hey, it’s even good scooped right out of the container…straight from the refrigerator!
Get your New Year started off on the right foot with simple, healthy recipes like this Skinny Polynesian Chicken Salad. You won’t miss the fat and calories, and your waistline will thank you!
Skinny Polynesian Chicken Salad
Yield 4 -6
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ¼ ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened, flaked coconut (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Chobani plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, and salt.
- Add yogurt mixture to chicken mixture and use a spatula to gently fold together until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Add almonds just before serving. Garnish with mandarin oranges and additional coconut.
- To serve, wrap in large lettuce leaves, stuff inside tortillas, or pile onto a sandwich roll.
Looking for other healthy, simple recipes to keep your New Year’s Resolutions on track? Try these favorites: