This Sheet Pan Honey Apricot Chicken and Asparagus is a healthy and fresh Spring dinner that cooks entirely on one tray! The easy weeknight meal requires just 10 minutes of prep for a simple, family-friendly dish that will make your tastebuds sing.🎶🎵
Hey, friends! Happy Friday to you! Is it spring yet where you live? Is your asparagus in season? According to my unscientific observations from the grocery store produce department (and the rainy week that we’ve had), I can tell you that it’s definitely that time of year in Virginia! When I noticed the asparagus on sale at my local grocery store last weekend, I scooped up multiple pounds of the green goodness to use in dinners for the week. Plus, it was the vegetable “special” when Keith and I went out to eat at a local farm-to-table restaurant last Saturday. If it’s cheap, fresh, and delicious, you better believe that I’m going to take advantage while it lasts!
Since my husband and boys wouldn’t find a tray of asparagus to be an acceptable dinner on its own, I figured that I better add some chicken to bulk up our recent supper. With half a jar of apricot preserves in the refrigerator, this meal was born!
Sheet Pan dinners are the only way to go — they’re just SO easy. The best part is definitely at the end…when there is only ONE TRAY to wash. Can’t beat that!
I like to pair the chicken and asparagus with a simple side dish that doesn’t require much effort, and that doesn’t utilize any additional dishes. A few slices of crusty bread works perfectly for soaking up any of the extra apricot glaze, while microwaveable pouches of rice are another handy option.
You’re going to love this preparation method for chicken and asparagus! Thanks to the sweet glaze, the chicken stays moist and tender on the inside while getting a nice, crispy char on the outside. The asparagus is tender, but still a beautiful shade of bright spring green. No mushy, bland veggies here!
I hope that you love this new, simple dinner to add to your weeknight routine. It’s a perfect way to welcome the warmer weather!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (can substitute with tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten-free option)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb. asparagus (about 1 bunch), woody ends removed
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in the center of the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, apricot preserves, honey, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Pour about ½ cup of the apricot dressing over the chicken, reserving ¼ cup for later.
- Bake chicken for about 20 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Remove pan from the oven and switch oven setting to BROIL.
- Place asparagus on the tray around the chicken. Baste chicken and asparagus with remaining apricot dressing.
- Place tray under the broiler and cook for an additional 6 minutes, or until asparagus is tender and chicken is crispy.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley just before serving.
Cooking for Two? This is a perfect meal to scale down for smaller quantities. Just cook one or two chicken breasts on your tray and cut the rest of the ingredients in half as well!
Want to Prep Ahead? Make the apricot sauce in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can also trim and wash the asparagus ahead of time so that when you’re ready to make dinner, there’s absolutely NO prep work necessary — just place on the tray and bake!