This simple and flavorful Orange Sesame Chicken Quinoa is a protein-packed healthy lunch or dinner option that comes together easily, can be made in advance, and is bursting with fresh citrus flavor! It’s a clean eating recipe that tastes delicious and will give you plenty of energy to stay fit and active this year!
It’s no secret that I love to prepare seasonally-inspired dishes that highlight the fresh produce that’s available at any given time of year (hence, the name of my blog!). Since oranges (and citrus in general) are some of our favorite winter fruits, it’s probably not surprising that I’ve been using them in my cooking a lot recently.
I love this particular dish because it’s easy to prepare (less than 30 minutes from start to finish, guys!), and it can be made in advance. It’s great served warm right after you make it, but it’s equally good at room temp or chilled.
The quinoa is fluffy yet satisfying — thanks to tons of protein from the quinoa itself, as well as the chicken and edamame that I toss into the mix. Freshly-squeezed orange juice, orange zest, and green onions keep it light and fresh, while the sesame and soy sauce add a great warmth and depth of flavor. Salty, sweet, and savory…all in one healthy dish!
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 3 navel oranges, peeled and segments diced
- 1 cup cooked, diced chicken
- ½ cup shelled edamame (can substitute with peas)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Rinse and drain the quinoa in a strainer. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl. Stir in orange segments, chicken, edamame, and green onion.
- Prepare vinaigrette by placing orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and orange zest in a jar. Shake until completely combined.
- Dress quinoa mixture with the vinaigrette. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Enjoy this clean eating lunch or dinner option, friends! It’s a great way to stay on track this season and throughout the New Year!