With only 5 minutes of prep time, you can have a warm and satisfying bowl of Italian Chicken and Stars Soup on the table for your family. This healthy soup recipe is a one-pot meal that’s easy, fast, and very kid-friendly!
Oh, hey there! Did you survive the hustle, bustle, and cheer of the Christmas holiday? Did you indulge in a few too many cookies and plates of fudge? No worries — this soup is a healthy and filling way to get some veggies and nutritious ingredients back into your family’s bodies so that you’re all properly fueled to tackle the New Year!
Since we’re in the height of soup season, I wanted to share one of my kids’ latest favorites — this Italian Chicken and Stars Soup! My boys like it because it’s basically spaghetti disguised as soup (and the little star-shaped pasta never hurts either!).
I like this dinner for very different reasons: it’s fast (ready in 30 minutes from start to finish), it’s good for us, and it’s an entire meal in one pot. That means fewer dishes for me, and I don’t have to worry about sides (although a loaf of crusty bread is a nice addition to the dinner).
I hope that this simple recipe helps you get a comforting meal on the table for your family just a little bit easier this season! Enjoy the rest of the holidays, friends!
- 1 wedge Parmesan cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked stelline (stars) pasta (or other similar very small pasta shape)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Grate the Parmesan cheese and set aside (you will use this to garnish each bowl of soup).
- Save the rind from your cheese wedge and set that aside as well (you will need this for your soup later).
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion to the pot, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add marinara sauce. Slowly pour in chicken broth and stir all ingredients together.
- Cover, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- When the soup boils, remove lid, stir in uncooked pasta and cheese rind.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and vegetables; heat through until pasta is tender (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove cheese rind from the pot. Divide soup among bowls, garnish each bowl with grated cheese, and serve.
Here is the nutrition information for each bowl of soup (based on 6 servings), assuming that you use all of the grated cheese: