This Healthy Chicken Chow Mein is a classic Asian-inspired dish that you can feel good about feeding your family! Packed with veggies, protein, and pasta, this complete meal comes together easily thanks to a simple sauce and a quick stir-fry method.
If your family loves Asian food, but you don’t love the fat and calories that are often associated with those tubs of take-out, then you should definitely give this recipe a try! The flavors are mild enough to appeal to even your youngest audience (babies love it!), and it’s packed with nutrients thanks to loads of veggies that are tossed throughout the pasta.
You know what else is great about this dish? There’s very little prep involved! The only slicing required: cutting your chicken into strips. Otherwise, I take some help from frozen vegetables and a bag of angel hair coleslaw from the produce section. Dump them in your skillet or wok, stir them with the sauce, and dinner is served!
Feel free to modify this recipe to suit your family’s tastes as well. You can use just about any of your favorite frozen vegetables, and beef or turkey would also work in lieu of the chicken. Vegetarian? Just skip the meat all together and toss in a few extra bamboo shoots! Have fun with it and enjoy!
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen stir-fry vegetable blend, slightly thawed (we like an Oriental Stir-Fry Mix that includes bell peppers, broccoli, miniature corn, snap peas, carrots, and mushrooms)
- ½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and place in a large bowl. Toss pasta with sesame oil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, stir together broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or a wok over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic and chicken and stir for about 3 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add cabbage, stir-fry vegetable blend, and bamboo shoots to the skillet and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add pasta to skillet and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add broth mixture, vegetables, and chicken to the pasta in the skillet. Stir-fry for 2 more minutes, or until sauce thickens. Serve.
Looking for other delicious Asian-inspired recipes? Try these favorites: