Serve a hearty, warm, and cozy bowl of Chicken and Cheese Chowder for an easy weeknight dinner! This creamy chicken and vegetable soup is finished off with sharp cheddar cheese for a simple comfort food recipe that the whole family will love!
Hi, friends! I recently realized that it has been a few weeks since I shared a new soup recipe with you. At this time of year, how is that even possible?! As someone who is always cold, I NEED a warm bowl of soup for lunch or dinner multiple times per week when the weather dips below 50. It’s the only way that I keep my blood circulating at this time of year and stay warm through the winter! Kidding. Kind of.
Since soup or chili is on our dinner menu multiple times each week, I like to keep things interesting and come up with new and different options so that we don’t get bored. This creamy, cheesy chowder is rich, thick and perfect for a family of hungry boys like mine — even those who don’t usually love soup!
Served with some hot and crusty bread, this is one easy dinner or lunch option that will warm you from the inside out!
- ½ stick (4tablespoons) butter
- 1 c. shredded carrots (I use a box grater to shred 3 medium carrots)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ¼ c. diced onion
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 c. milk (I used low-fat milk, but skim, whole, or cream would also work)
- 1 ¾ c. chicken stock or broth
- 1 c. chopped, cooked chicken (I used some of the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1 tablespoon white wine (or more, if desired)
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 c. grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: chopped chives for garnish
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Saute carrots, celery, and onion in butter until tender (about 3-5 minutes). Whisk in flour and cook until smooth (about 1 minute). Add milk and chicken stock. Increase heat and whisk until soup begins to gently simmer and bubble, but do not boil. Continue whisking as the liquid cooks and bubbles, until thick (about 7-10 minutes).
- Stir in chicken, wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat through.
- Add cheese and cook and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve and garnish with chives, if desired.
Looking for even more delicious soup or chili options? Try these favorites: