Need a one pot meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes? With some fresh vegetables and a few of my favorite shortcuts, this Farmer's Market Chicken and Rice is an easy dinner recipe that the whole family will love!
You just can't beat the convenience of a one pot meal!
I don't know about you, but washing dishes at the end of the day is not my idea of a good time. When there's only one skillet involved, though? I can handle it!
I love taking advantage of grocery store shortcuts to get a weeknight dinner on the table fast.
For this particular recipe, I used a package of Creamy Chicken-flavored rice and pasta mix. If that's not your favorite flavor, you can certainly go with any other similar option (there are a bunch to choose from).
I know it's not fancy...but tools like this sure do make my life easier! Just keepin' it real...
The key to transforming a package of rice into a satisfying and delicious one pot meal is to add LOTS of fresh, delicious ingredients.
As the farmer's markets begin to open this season and produce is looking edible again, be sure to pick up a few of your family's favorites to toss into the mix!
I used a combination of broccoli, yellow bell pepper, fresh basil, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and minced garlic. So simple, but so tasty!
You can swap out these ingredients in favor of whatever your family loves, or based on what's readily available at your market.
The chicken, the rice, and the vegetables all cook in the same dish for an easy one pot meal that comes together like magic.
What kid can resist a bowl of creamy, cheesy chicken and rice? Not mine!
This is such a great way to incorporate more veggies into your family's diet. Before you know it, they'll be reaching for seconds!
Enjoy, my friends, and let me know if you give it a try!
ONE POT MEAL: FARMER'S MARKET CHICKEN AND RICE
One Pot Meal: Farmer's Market Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic I like to use a bottle of pre-minced fresh garlic from the produce section for a shortcut
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper diced (any color is fine)
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 5.7 ounce package Knorr Rice Sides – Creamy Chicken flavor (or any other similar flavor of choice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves divided
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces to the hot skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until browned (about 5-7 minutes). The chicken doesn’t need to be entirely cooked through, since it will continue cooking in the skillet. You just want a bit of nice color on the outside.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the diced yellow bell pepper, broccoli, rice packet, water, and butter to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.
- Simmer over low heat (covered) for 7 minutes, or until rice is tender and most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in Parmesan and 2 tablespoons basil. Garnish with remaining basil.