If you need a sweet treat to share with your children, to take to a school party, or to enjoy with your own cup of tea, these Homemade Whole Wheat Graham Crackers are the perfect solution. A simple dough comes together in one bowl (no mixer required!) for an easy, wholesome snack or party food for kids!
[Tweet “Treat your kids to a wholesome #snack: Easy Homemade Whole Wheat Graham Crackers! #healthy”]
If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably saw a sneak peak photo of these graham crackers last week. After multiple snow days and school cancellations in the same week, we were getting desperate for indoor entertainment! One of my favorite boredom-busting activities is cooking with my boys. They have fun stirring, mixing, and taste-testing, and we always enjoy our finished product!
The White Chocolate Rice Krispie Pops that I made for the boys’ Christmas party at their preschool last year were SUCH a hit (both on the blog and in real life), that I knew I needed to come up with a similar fun and easy idea for the next party: Valentine’s Day.
Just like the Rice Krispie Pops, these graham crackers come together really easily, making them a great option for busy moms like me. When we’re throwing together a recipe the night before the party, we definitely don’t want it to be time consuming or complicated!
These graham crackers are also like the Rice Krispie Pops because they can be easily tailored to suit any occasion. They make a great after school snack on any day of the week, or they can be cut into other holiday shapes simply by using a different cookie cutter. Make them into Christmas trees for the next Christmas party, or cut out pumpkins at Halloween. They will be a crowd-pleaser no matter when you serve them!
Since I know that my boys will be bombarded with chocolate and candy from friends and grandparents on Valentine’s Day, I figure that I don’t need to contribute to the sugar overload. I know that the teachers and other parents at the preschool will also appreciate that these Whole Wheat Graham Crackers have a bit more substance and nutritional value than that bright pink Laffy Taffy that the kids are sure to consume in large volumes!
Treat your sweethearts to a delicious, homemade snack that tastes like a cookie, but is made with wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about! That is a true way to show some LOVE.
Homemade Whole Wheat Graham Crackers
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup milk plus additional for brushing on tops
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add oil, honey, and milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until dough forms and well combined.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut into squares or use cookie cutters to make other shapes. Prick with a fork and brush squares with additional milk.
- Bake on a baking sheet for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Alternatives: If you’d like to make teething biscuits, just roll the dough thicker and cut into long rectangles for easy grasping.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon for Cinnamon Graham crackers!
Looking for other healthier kid-friendly treats? Check out these favorites:
Valentine’s Day Yogurt
Strawberry-Banana Frozen Greek Yogurt Pops