Cozy up this season with a cup of coffee and some Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Chip Scones! Crispy on the outside, tender and moist on the inside, and warmly spiced for the season, these lightened-up treats are the perfect answer when you're looking for a healthier afternoon snack or an easy make-ahead breakfast!
Hi, friends! Do you love to snack as much as I do? I always seem to need that little something extra to tide me over when my stomach starts to growl mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
To keep my energy levels up, my appetite satisfied, and my blood sugars stable, I try to choose healthy snacks that include whole grains and protein...but they better taste good, or I'll be running to the nearest donut shop drive-thru in no time!
If you're a regular reader here, then you know that one of my favorite easy, go-to snacks is a cup of Greek yogurt. It's sweet, satisfying, packed with protein, and absolutely delicious. I keep my refrigerator stocked with a variety of Yoplait yogurt for our entire family, which I pick up when I'm grocery shopping at Walmart. Can't beat that price, either!
I love to top my yogurt with some fruit or granola for an easy snack or breakfast option, but when I'm in the mood for something a bit more special, I whip up a batch of these lightened-up scones to have on hand.
Greek yogurt happens to be one of my favorite healthy baking ingredients, because it adds such great texture and flavor without the extra fat and calories that you would get from sour cream, butter, or oil.
Cinnamon Chip Scones Made Healthier
By using nutritious ingredients like whole wheat pastry flour and Yoplait Greek 100 vanilla yogurt, I can even get away with a little (or a lot) of cinnamon maple glaze on top!
The glaze hardens as it cools and creates a sweet, crispy coating the outside of the scones. In my opinion, it's a MUST when you make these! However, if you're watching your sugar intake, just skip the glaze -- the scones will still be awesome.
And while they're best warm from the oven, these cinnamon chip scones are also a great make-ahead snack or breakfast to have on hand for busy weekdays. Just grab-and-go (but don't forget a mug of coffee on the way)! It's a match made in heaven, and it will make you #SnackandSmile!
Looking for even more delicious ways to enjoy Greek yogurt? Try these favorites:
- Greek Yogurt Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Overnight Apple Crisp Breakfast Parfait
- Skinny Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Sundae
If you’ve tried these Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Chip Scones or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Chip Scones
For the Scones:
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour can also use all-purpose flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tbsp butter very cold and cubed
- ½ cup Yoplait Greek 100 vanilla flavored yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp nonfat milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cinnamon chips divided
Optional Maple Glaze:
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon maple extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C), and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or the back of a fork until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. Fold in 2 tablespoons of cinnamon chips.
- Shape the dough into a ¾” tall circle on the prepared baking sheet, and brush with additional milk. Slice the circle into 8 triangular segments with a sharp knife.
- Gently press the remaining cinnamon chips into the tops.
- Bake at for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- When the scones are completely cool, drizzle with maple glaze if desired.
- To prepare glaze: In a small bowl whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk, cinnamon, maple extract, and salt until smooth. Drizzle over the scones, or dip the top of each scone into the glaze.
- Recipe adapted from Amy’s Healthy Baking.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of General Mills. The opinions and text are all mine.