Doesn’t everyone deserve a sweet breakfast treat on their birthday? Loaded with rainbow sprinkles and coated with a sweet glaze, these Birthday Cake Muffins are the perfect way to spoil your loved ones on a special day!
Let’s be honest. A birthday is really just a great excuse to eat cake ALL.DAY.LONG. Even for breakfast!
And since my sweet Casey is turning 4 today, I knew that I wanted to come up with a fun breakfast treat for him to start his day on a high. Since he is my rainbow-sprinkle-and-dessert-loving child, these muffins were absolutely MADE for him. Clearly, they brought a smile to this birthday boy’s face (and by the way, his brothers thought the muffins were pretty great, too)!
These muffins start with a cake mix, so they really do have that cake batter flavor that is so darn good. Instead of a big pile of frosting on top (which would then turn a muffin into a “cupcake”), I finished these off with a simple little glaze that coats the muffin tops and sets into a harder, sweet crust. It’s like the outside of a glazed DONUT, but even better…because that glaze is on a muffin top. With sprinkles!
Of course, the inside of the muffins are light, fluffy and loaded with even more sprinkles! I love the contrast between the glazed crusty top and the soft, moist crumb interior.
If you want to make these in advance, I would suggest baking and freezing the muffins whenever it’s convenient for you. Then thaw the muffins the night before you need them and glaze them in the morning. Allow enough time for the glaze to set before serving. Now…we’re off to celebrate!!
[Tweet “Loaded with sprinkles and cake batter flavor, these Birthday Cake #Muffins make everyone feel special! #recipe #breakfast”]
Birthday Cake Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1 16.5 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or more as needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a standard-size muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the first 7 ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in sprinkles.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the Glaze: Stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk in a medium bowl. Dip the tops of the cooled muffins into the glaze. Place muffins on wire rack and allow glaze to set before serving.
Looking for more fun, birthday-inspired recipes? Try these favorites: