A family-friendly clean eating dinner is ready in about 30 minutes with these delicious Taco Stuffed Potatoes! Whether you use sweet potatoes or russet potatoes, everyone will love this easy make-ahead meal!
I’m always excited when I can share simple and nutritious dinnertime solutions with other busy parents. That’s my goal on this blog — making your life a little easier — so a recipe like this makes me really happy!
I love, love, love sweet potatoes…but Keith? Not so much. As a result, I rarely serve them at our house.
When a craving hit not long ago, I figured that I better come up with a way to enjoy some sweet potatoes with the kids, while still pleasing the husband.
Problem solved! I stuffed Keith’s russet potatoes with the same filling that I used for my sweet potatoes and the whole family was content.
You might also appreciate that this taco filling is lean and packed with fiber and protein, thanks to some non-fat refried beans that I snuck into the mix. Believe me: nobody will ever know they’re there!
And perhaps the best news of all? You can cook the potatoes and the filling in advance, stuff them at your convenience, and then when dinnertime rolls around just pop them under the broiler for a few minutes. That’s my kind of cooking!! No last-minute prep, no rushing around the kitchen at 5:30 p.m. when the kids are tired and hungry, and no stressing about whether or not the family will enjoy the food. These potatoes are healthy, fast, and 100% delicious!
Taco Stuffed Potatoes
- 1 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 8 oz. (or about ¾ cup) non-fat refried beans
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned will all work)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or you can substitute with russet potatoes or a combination of both)
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Optional: sliced green onion for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Scrub the outside of the potatoes until they are clean, and prick each potato with a fork a few times to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Place sweet potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave 2 at a time for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown onion and ground meat in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain and return to skillet. Add the taco seasoning, corn, and refried beans to the meat mixture and stir to combine.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop the inside of the potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer of potato inside. Set aside the flesh that you just removed and use it for a separate meal, if desired.
- Spray the potato skins with cooking spray, place on the baking sheet, and bake for about 5-7 minutes (or until outsides are slightly crispy).
- Remove potato skins from the oven and stuff with meat mixture. Top with a dollop of salsa and sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Turn oven to “broil.” Place the stuffed potatoes under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Garnish with green onions.