They’re baked, not fried…but you’d NEVER know it! A quick and healthy dinner or a fun party appetizer, these Skinny Southwestern Egg Rolls are crispy on the outside, stuffed with a cheesy chicken filling, and perfect for dipping! Plus, with only 125 calories per egg roll, you can indulge your cravings — guilt free!
That’s right, friends…a low-calorie, EASY, baked egg roll that my family CANNOT get enough of! And it gets better…you can prep these in advance, so if you’re hosting a party or if you’re scrambling to pull together a healthy dinner on a busy weeknight, these will wait for you in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake them. Great sanity saver!!
Ever since Keith and the boys (plus YOU readers!) devoured and raved about my Skinny Bacon Cheeseburger Egg Rolls ages ago, I have been meaning to come up with another twist on the favorite. I had kind of put it off and forgotten about it, though, until I was struck with new inspiration when Keith and I had a date night dinner at Chili’s when we were doing some last-minute Christmas shopping for the kids. Since the restaurant was crowded that night and we were in a hurry, we sat at the bar for a quick meal. While sipping our drinks and chatting, we watched plate after plate of appetizers come out to the bar…and most of them included the restaurant’s Southwestern Egg Rolls.
And here you have it…my own healthier twist on the obviously popular app at Chili’s, which I actually serve for dinner in our house. A nice salad, some corn, or some chips and salsa all work great as easy sides to round out the meal. And don’t forget the salsa, guacamole, and sour cream for dipping!
- 1 cup finely diced cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup canned black beans, drained
- 4 tablespoons salsa, plus additional for dipping
- 16 teaspoons (1.33 ounces) reduced-fat 4 Cheese Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 8 egg roll wraps (I use Nasoya brand, which I find in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store near the vegetarian meats like tofu)
- Garnish: sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean-up) and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, taco seasoning, corn, beans, and salsa.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper. Top with about 1 teaspoon of cheese.
- Fold sides toward center and roll tightly. Tip: Keep the remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use. Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- Spray tops of egg rolls with cooking spray (this will help them turn golden brown and crispy in the oven).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Looking for other delicious party food? Try these: