My mom’s recipe for classic Rum Cake, dripping in a warm rum butter glaze, gets an instant upgrade with plenty of rich chocolate chunks mixed right into the batter. This easy dessert is perfect for any holiday or special occasion, but only requires a few minutes of prep time in the kitchen!
Hi, friends! Do you have your holiday menus completed yet? Don’t forget the dessert, which (in my opinion) is the most exciting and delicious part of any meal!
But you know what? Not many of us have endless free time to spend in the kitchen working on the perfect sweet treat. Instead, it’s nice to have a few tried-and-true delicious recipes to turn to when you want a show-stopping dessert that will turn out perfectly every time…with minimal effort required!
On a recent shopping trip at Safeway, I picked up the key ingredients for this very easy rum cake…
a box of Betty Crocker™ Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix, as well as a package of Hershey’s® Milk Chocolate bars.
I actually can’t take credit for this genius recipe. I recently came across my mom’s old card for her classic rum cake in a large stack of recipes that she shared with me. She didn’t think that she needed them in her kitchen anymore, so she passed them along…knowing that I would probably enjoy looking at them. Well let me tell you: I have had so much fun recreating some of my favorite dishes from my childhood…often with a twist.
My “update” to Mom’s retro recipe was to swap out the pecans for some big chunks of Hershey’s milk chocolate. I think that rum and chocolate make a perfect pair, and it just wouldn’t be the holidays without a festive, chocolate dessert…right?!
I hope that you have a chance to give this special treat a try. It’s a beautiful addition to your celebrations this season, and it’s the perfect way to #spreadcheer when you share it with friends and family. Plus, it couldn’t be easier to prepare! With less time in the kitchen, you have more time to enjoy your loved ones, play in the snow, or finish up that last-minute Christmas shopping!
- For the Cake:
- 1 (18.25 ounce) Betty Crocker™ Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding and pie filling (just the dry mix)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup rum
- 8 (0.45 ounce) snack size Hershey’s® chocolate bars, coarsely chopped (about ¾ cup -1 cup chopped)
- For the Glaze:
- ¼ lb. butter (1 stick)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour tube or Bundt pan.
- Mix first 6 ingredients (cake mix through rum) together in a large bowl. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 55 minutes - 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan until it’s just warm and easy to handle.
- To Prepare Glaze:
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in rum.
- Invert cake on serving tray or on a wire rack. Use a wooden skewer to prick holes all over the top of the cake.
- Spoon and spread glaze evenly over top and sides of the cake. Allow the cake to absorb the glaze and repeat process until all of the glaze is used.
If you love this easy recipe, you might also want to check out four more NEW dessert recipes from Safeway, Betty Crocker, and Hershey’s. From Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Brownies to a Holiday Peppermint Swirl Cake, they’re all simple, festive, and made with classic ingredients that you can pick up at your local Safeway! The ease and love are baked right in when you use Betty Crocker™ and Hershey’s® for your holiday delights!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Betty Crocker™ and Hershey’s® . The opinions and text are all mine.