When I spied a box of Trix cereal earlier this week, the brightly-colored bites instantly brought to mind the whimsical Truffula Trees in Dr. Seuss’s book, The Lorax. After all, we’ve spent the week focused on his stories, so you can tell where my brain is…
These are basically just a twist on the classic, ever-popular Rice Krispie Treat, replacing the rice cereal with fruity Trix instead. What child wouldn’t love these? And moms will love them because they are SO easy to prepare.
While these Truffula Tree Treats are obviously an appropriate Dr. Seuss-themed snack, they would also be perfect at just about any child’s gathering. How about a slumber party where the guests wake up to these for breakfast, with a glass of milk and fruit on the side? Now that would be a sweet treat!
Here’s my super-easy recipe, and if you’d prefer some Truffula Trees minus the sugar, check out my previous post where we made Truffula Trees out of pom-poms. Just as fun!
The Lorax's Truffula Tree Treats
- 4 cups Trix cereal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
- 10 popsicle sticks
- Optional: green playdough for display
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and pour Trix cereal into bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until completely melted.
- Pour melted marshmallows over cereal and stir to coat. Use hands to form cereal mixture into balls. Place balls on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Allow balls to set for a few minutes before gently inserting a popsicle stick into each one.
- If desired, use green playdough to display each tree.