Jazz up a cookie dough mix to create these festive Margarita Cookies! Your favorite warm-weather cocktail takes the form of a thick, chewy, coconut sugar cookie that is glazed with lime and rum-flavored icing. These treats are the perfect easy dessert to bring along to your Cinco de Mayo gathering, a summer cook-out, a beach picnic, or any other fun occasion this season!
When you think of summer and the beach, do you think of cocktails? For me, it’s always margaritas. They are the signature drinks that my parents have always served on the deck at their beach house, and they have become quite the tradition. My family’s recipe makes a STIFF cocktail (I’ll share it on here some day!), and they are sure to create a party no matter where you are!
I took all of the fun flavors from the fruity beverage and packaged them into little flavorful cookies. Best of all, they are super fast and easy to make! Remember, I’m all about the short-cuts? My little tricks include a package of sugar cookie mix, a can of prepared vanilla frosting, and some lime zest!
I added a little bit of rum to my frosting, but if you’re serving these to children, you could certainly stick with some rum extract instead. Tailor these tasty little treats to make them your own!
For the Cookies:
- 1 package sugar cookie mix or your own favorite homemade sugar cookie recipe!, PLUS any additional ingredients called for on the package
- 1 cup shredded coconut
For the Frosting:
- 1 16 ounce container vanilla frosting
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 ½ teaspoons rum extract
- Zest from 1 fresh lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare cookie dough according to package instructions, stirring in the coconut as well.
- Drop the dough in heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just golden brown on the edges, but still soft in the center.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are completely cool, prepare the frosting.
In a small bowl, stir together the frosting, 1 tablespoon of milk, lime juice, rum, and lime zest. Add more milk, if necessary, until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Drizzle frosting over cooled cookies (I like to use a zip-top bag to pipe the frosting).