I just couldn’t let strawberry season go by without another fresh strawberry recipe!
Remember our Strawberry Pickin’ adventure last week? Well I still had some berries left-over, even after enjoying those delicious Strawberry Shortcakes. The few remaining berries just happened to find their way into this Healthy Strawberry Breakfast Bread.
I wanted to bake something that I could enjoy for breakfast or snack without feeling as though I had just consumed a piece of birthday cake! This light bread fits the bill because I used whole wheat flour, just a bit of sugar, and a tiny bit of butter. The bread really gets most of its sweetness from the natural sugars in the fruit, while the berries and applesauce also keep the loaf nice and moist. No dry, dense, whole wheat bread here.
If you don’t have whole wheat flour on hand, you can just use all-purpose flour for the entire recipe. I just wouldn’t substitute the all-purpose flour with only whole wheat – that might weigh down your bread.
As raspberries and blueberries come into season, feel free to swap those into the recipe instead of the strawberries. It’s a flexible formula and it will be tasty no matter which fruit you choose. Enjoy!
Healthy Strawberry Breakfast Bread
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 2 cups chopped strawberries in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar and stir to coat. Using a fork, gently mash the berries. You don’t want them completely mashed into a puree because a few chunks are nice.
- Place mashed strawberries (plus their juices), melted butter, and applesauce in a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix together.
- Add sugar, egg, and vanilla to strawberry mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour last, stirring just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix or your bread will be tough.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.