This easy Mexican-inspired dish is a great way to use up some leftovers in a healthy and family-friendly dinner! My Chicken Taco Quinoa Skillet comes together in just minutes, is full of protein and veggies, and is 100% kid-approved. It’s another simple weeknight meal that will soon become a family favorite!
I love to buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store or cook a bunch of chicken over the weekend that I can use throughout the week. Plain cooked chicken is so versatile that I never have any trouble finishing it up within a few days. This recipe is a perfect example of how we stretch a small amount of leftover meat and turn it into a dinner for 5 (you could easily substitute turkey, shrimp, ground beef, or even extra beans to make it vegetarian)!
This is also a great supper to add to your list if you have any allergies in your house. You can leave off the small amount of cheese on top to make the dish dairy-free, and just use some avocado or guacamole for that creamy touch on top. The quinoa adds a nice punch of protein and keeps the meal gluten-free as well. And who doesn’t love Mexican food, right? It’s a total kid (and husband)-pleaser!
In addition to cooking my meat in advance, I also like to make a big batch of quinoa in my rice cooker (affiliate link) over the weekend. I store it in individual containers and use it for dinners like this, and also for sweeter breakfast options like my Overnight Strawberry Quinoa Parfait. If quinoa isn’t your “thing” though, you can also substitute an equal amount of rice or couscous instead.
No matter how you serve it, this is one of those easy weeknight dinners that will make your life a little bit saner during the busy evening rush. Believe me…I know how hard it can be!
[Tweet “The perfect #healthy #recipe to use up leftovers! Chicken Taco Quinoa Skillet! #fitfluential #GF”]
Chicken Taco Quinoa Skillet
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen is fine
- 1 canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- ½ cup salsa or taco sauce
- 4 ounces grated cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
- Optional: diced green onion diced avocado, guacamole, sour cream
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa, water (as called for on package), and taco seasoning to a large pot and cook according to package instructions.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, stir together cooked quinoa, corn, beans, tomatoes, chicken, and salsa.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil entire skillet on high for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with green onion, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole.
Looking for other easy weeknight dinners? Try these favorites: