This healthy Chicken Penne Casserole with Corn and Zucchini is oozing with melted cheese and a smooth, creamy sauce! It’s the perfect clean eating dinner to showcase some of summer’s best produce!
Raise your hand if you have an overload of zucchini in your garden right now!! And if you’re anything like me, then I know that you hate to let food go to waste. You just won’t find me throwing much of anything away!
That’s why I love to come up with recipes that include some of our fresh favorites in new or different ways. Since pasta and chicken casseroles are always a hit, I figured that I couldn’t go wrong by including some summer veggies and herbs into the mix as well. The mild zucchini and the sweet corn are the perfect addition to this wholesome one dish meal!
With 20 grams of protein per serving, plenty of whole grains, and a bounty of fresh produce, this is a simple weeknight dinner that your family will LOVE — and that you can feel good about serving!
Chicken Penne Casserole with Corn and Zucchini
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, cooked and drained (can substitute with regular penne pasta)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour (can substitute with all-purpose flour)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 9 ounces (about 1 ½ cups) cooked, diced chicken
- 1 zucchini, diced into very small pieces
- Kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn (about 1 ½ cups), or you can substitute with frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, milk, salt and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Allow sauce to cook until it thickens, whisking regularly so that the sauce is smooth (about 5-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in cooked pasta, ½ cup of mozzarella, chicken, zucchini, and corn.
- Transfer chicken mixture to prepared dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and heated through (about 20-25 minutes).
Want to simplify your life even more? My eCookbook Fast, Fresh & Fit! is full of our family’s favorite go-to recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner — and none of them require much prep work! These healthy and easy meals are 100% delicious and SUPER fast! You can learn about the book HERE!
Looking for even more delicious ways to enjoy fresh summer produce? Try these recipes: