Easy Blueberry Cobbler
This easy blueberry cobbler is a delicious way to enjoy fresh summer berries! The cake-like batter puffs up around the fruit, giving the dish that classic "cobbled" texture on top.
Servings 6 people
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, plus an additional 1 tablespoon for topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole buttermilk, shaken (or substitute with regular whole or 2% milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For serving: vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place butter in a 9-inch or 10-inch cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can use a deep-dish pie plate or a deep 9-inch square baking dish. Transfer the skillet to the oven until the butter melts. Keep a close eye on it so that the butter doesn’t burn or scorch.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together 1 ¼ cups of sugar, flour, salt and baking powder. Add buttermilk and vanilla extract; stir just until combined.
Once the butter melts, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Pour the batter into the skillet. Sprinkle blueberries and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- This easy cobbler has a soft cake-like batter that puffs up around the fruit. If you're looking for a biscuit-topped cobbler with a saucy fruit filling, try this old-fashioned blueberry cobbler recipe or this peach blueberry cobbler.
- A cast iron skillet is my preference for those great crispy edges and even heat distribution, but you can use a deep-dish pie plate or a deep 9-inch square baking dish if necessary.
- If you don't have buttermilk, substitute with regular whole milk or 2% milk.
- Use any berries that you like, or a combination of berries to total about 1 ½ cups. Blackberries, raspberries or diced strawberries would all be delicious additions to the cobbler.
Serving: 1/6 of the cobbler | Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 436IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 1mg