Sausage and Cabbage
This easy Sausage and Cabbage is a delicious one pot meal that's ready for the table in about 30 minutes!
Servings 6 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 ounces smoked sausage, sliced into rounds (I like turkey kielbasa)
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.), cored and sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown on both sides (about 5-7 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage to a plate and set aside.
Add onion to the pot and cook until tender (about 5-7 more minutes).
Add butter to the skillet with the onions. When the butter melts, stir in the cabbage and toss with the butter and onions to coat. Stir in broth, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
When the cabbage is tender, add the sausage back to the skillet. Cook and stir until warmed through (about 1 more minute). Garnish with fresh parsley just before serving.
- Swap out the turkey kielbasa and use your favorite smoked sausage instead. Ground sausage or Italian sausage will also work.
- Prep ahead: This dish can be made in advance and then reheated throughout the week for easy lunches or quick dinners.
- The sausage and cabbage will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I do not recommend freezing the cooked dish, since the cabbage will have a weird watery, mushy texture when thawed.
- Cooking for a smaller family? Cut all of the ingredients in half. The rest of the cooking instructions remain the same.
- Play around with the ratio of ingredients. If you like more cabbage, you can use a large head of cabbage and decrease the sausage to just one pound (or less).
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 309.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.9g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 19.3g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.2g | Cholesterol: 80.5mg | Sodium: 1397.7mg | Potassium: 394.9mg | Fiber: 5.9g | Sugar: 7.5g