Slow Cooker Chili
This classic Slow Cooker Chili recipe is my family's favorite easy, weeknight comfort food -- and it's full of lean protein, beans, veggies, and zesty seasonings! For a healthy dinner recipe that you can make ahead, there's just nothing better!
Servings 12 cups
- 2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef you can sub with ground chicken or ground turkey if you prefer
- 1 ¼ cups frozen diced onion or about 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans or small pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese; sliced green onions; sour cream; sliced olives; crushed tortilla chips
Heat about 2 teaspoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef, onion, and garlic in the skillet until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
Place beef mixture inside a large slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with optional toppings.
- To make last-minute dinner prep even faster, I like to brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in advance and then just keep the cooked meat in a container in my refrigerator until we're ready to use it. This is a step that I can usually do on the weekend so that I only have to dump the ingredients into the pot on a busy weekday morning.
- Make slow cooker chili with no beans by omitting the canned beans and substituting with an extra can of corn and some extra ground beef (or another vegetable of choice).
- Turn this into slow cooker turkey chili by substituting with 2 lbs. of ground turkey in lieu of the ground beef.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.6g | Protein: 24.3g | Fat: 3.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 942.6mg | Fiber: 6.1g | Sugar: 8.1g