Classic Southern Macaroni Salad
An easy Southern Macaroni Salad is the perfect make-ahead side dish for your next potluck, cookout, or family gathering.
Servings 8 cups
- 6 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni pasta (about 1 ½ cups uncooked, or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.While the pasta cooks, chop the onions, celery, bell pepper, eggs, and parsley.
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and garlic until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine cool pasta, onion, celery, bell pepper, eggs, and parsley. Toss with dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Rinse the pasta under cold water to help it cool down, stop the cooking, remove starches, and prevent sticking.
- Give the salad plenty of time to chill in the refrigerator before serving. It's a great prep-ahead dish, because it just gets better as it sits for a few hours and the flavors come together.
- If your macaroni salad looks dry, it's probably because the pasta has absorbed a lot of the dressing. Just stir in a couple of extra dollops of mayonnaise right before serving, if necessary.
Serving: 1/2 cup | Calories: 157.2kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.6g | Protein: 3.5g | Fat: 11.3g | Saturated Fat: 1.8g | Cholesterol: 38.7mg | Sodium: 111.8mg | Fiber: 1.3g | Sugar: 2.2g