Crock Pot Applesauce
Homemade applesauce doesn't get any easier than this! Fill your slow cooker with the season's fresh produce and after a few hours of simmering you will have a sweet, healthy Crock Pot Applesauce ready to enjoy!
Servings 24 (about 10- 12 cups of applesauce)
- Enough fresh apples to fill your slow cooker, peeled, cored, and sliced (If using small apples from an orchard, you may need 30-35 apples; however, if you're using large apples from the grocery store, you may only need about 15 apples)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups water
Place apples in bowl of slow cooker until full. Add sugar and cinnamon, stir. Pour water over apples and cover.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally. At the end of your cooking time, you should have a chunky applesauce in your pot. If your family prefers a very smooth consistency, just use an immersion blender to puree, or transfer applesauce to a large blender to puree until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- The sauce will be chunky at the end of the cooking time. If you prefer a smooth applesauce, simply use a handheld stick blender to puree the sauce once it has cooled (or process batches of the sauce in a blender) until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Make this Crock Pot Applesauce with no sugar! You can omit the sugar if you prefer unsweetened applesauce.
- Homemade applesauce will keep in the refrigerator for about 7-10 days.
- Can you freeze Crock Pot Applesauce? Absolutely! To freeze, transfer the cooled applesauce to jars, Ziploc freezer bags, or other airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- What types of apples are best for applesauce? You can use any apples that are readily available. I often use a blend of whatever we pick from the orchard! That said, soft apples are great because they cook down quickly and don't hold their shape in the way that Granny Smith or other pie-friendly apples will. Good options include: Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Cortland, Jonathan, Rome and Jonagold apples.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 5.2mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.1mg