Have your cake and eat it, too! This Upside Down Pineapple Cake Protein Shake is packed with all of the flavors of your favorite dessert -- in a low calorie, healthy breakfast smoothie!
For purposes of calculating nutritional information, I used my favorite IdealLean Cake Batter protein powder. You can substitute with a similar vanilla or cake batter flavored protein powder, but the nutritional stats will change. As an alternative, I also like Quest Vanilla Milkshake protein powder in this recipe. Nutrition information does not include optional toppings.
You can find caramel flavor in the baking aisle at many grocery stores (near the vanilla extract).
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- I like to use frozen pineapple for two main reasons: (1) it stays fresh for months in the freezer, so you don't have to worry about a pineapple going bad in your refrigerator before you have a chance to enjoy it; and (2) the frozen fruit adds a thick, rich, creamy texture to the smoothie that you don't get from fresh fruit.
- Blend in healthy mix-in’s for a nutritional boost. For instance, I often toss in some spinach, frozen sliced banana, flax, oatmeal, peanut butter, or almond butter to give my breakfast a healthy dose of fruits, veggies, and fats (without impacting the taste of the smoothie).
- If you’re preparing this healthy smoothie for kids, you can omit the protein powder and substitute with Greek yogurt. Since the protein powder adds not only thickness, but also flavor to the smoothie, you’ll want to use a sweetened vanilla Greek yogurt or use a plain Greek yogurt and add your own sweetener, to taste. The taste and texture of the smoothie recipe with yogurt will not be quite the same as the protein powder version, but your family will still love it!
- Keep the protein shake low sugar by using unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a sugar free protein powder.
- I prefer whey protein for flavor and thickness in this smoothie, but if you prefer a plant-based breakfast, you can substitute with a vegan protein powder.
Upside Down Pineapple Cake Protein Shake
Amount Per Serving (1 shake)
Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.8g
Total Carbohydrates 11g
Dietary Fiber 1.5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.