Greek Yogurt Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake is an easy dessert recipe with just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep!
Servings 12 slices (or 16 smaller slices)
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat here, but any variety will work)
- 1 cup milk (I used 2% milk, but any variety will work -- including almond milk or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 cup finely-shredded zucchini
- Optional: vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and/or sprinkles for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees for shiny metal or glass pans, or 325 degrees for dark or nonstick pans. Spray a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Wrap grated zucchini in a dish towel and wring out most of the liquid. Set aside.
Combine dry cake mix, yogurt and milk in a large bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until completely combined. Fold in zucchini.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool slightly in pan before cutting and serving.
- Mix up the flavors! Use a lemon cake mix to make a Lemon Zucchini Cake or a white cake mix to make a White Zucchini Cake. Spice cake would also be delicious!
- Make your zucchini cake with chocolate chips, or stir in chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Add your own store-bought chocolate or vanilla frosting, or make a zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting by using the cream cheese frosting from this recipe.
- I like to use a fine grater so that the zucchini bakes right into the cake and is undetectable in the finished product. It adds moisture, but nothing else! If you like more texture in your cake, you can use a larger grate to shred your zucchini.
- Make sure to use a dish towel to squeeze excess liquid from your grated zucchini. This will prevent the cake from being dense and flat after baking.
- Top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and a few rainbow sprinkles
- Pair the cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate or caramel syrup
Serving: 1/12 of the cake | Calories: 158.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.4g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1.7g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 1.7mg | Sodium: 337.9mg | Potassium: 75.1mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 17g